Chapter 23: Secret Tunnel

Sokka attempted to make a map, but it soon proved useless, as they constantly got turned around. Y/N sliced markings into the stone walls with water, watching which ones reappeared, and where.

          "Stop trying, its useless." Y/N concluded, patting Sokka's shoulder. "The tunnels shift. The reason we haven't gotten completely turned around to the beginning is because the passage we came through doesn't exist  anymore." 

          Appa was getting noticeably restless, which was understandable. He should be up in the sky, not in shifting, unstable tunnels. 

          "Calm down, boy. We'll get out of this." Aang soothed his bison, looking around helplessly at the cavern walls.

          "What do we do, then?" Katara asked. 

          "We don't have any earthbenders." Y/N frowned. "This would be so much easier. If the labyrinth goes straight through the mountain, then we would just need to go that way." She pointed off to her left.

          This wasn't good. Y/N had a good sense of direction, but even she was getting confused. She had never been underground, not like this, and the walls were shifting, not just opening and closing. 

          As Y/N tried to work out what to do next, Appa roared, stomping around. Everyone could feel the tunnel shaking uncontrollably, Aang and Katara trying to calm the bison down. His tail hit the wall, and the ceiling caved, Y/N being thrown several feet through the dust and rocks.

          When the dust cleared, Y/N got up on her hands and knees, coughing. It looked like Aang had airbent everyone out of the way, but now there was a huge pile of rocks splitting the group.

          She was alone on her side, or so she thought, moments later a flying lemur landed on her shoulder, chattering. At least she had Momo. 

          Y/N could hear faint yelling from the other side, but she couldn't make out words. Her torch was burning low, and Sokka had the rest. 

          She turned towards the dark tunnel behind her, scratching behind Momo's ears.

          "Guess we just have to keep going, huh, Momo?"

                             —|➖◾️➖|—

                               Zuko's POV

          Zuko needed time to think, stepping outside to sit on the front porch. After Iroh had made a deadly tea out of a poisonous plant, he needed medical attention, and they quickly found a kind Earth Kingdom family that would help.

          The daughter of the family, Song, tried talking to him a lot during dinner, but he didn't say much. He felt bad for not responding, but he wasn't in the mood for any social interaction. 

          "Hey, are you okay?" The brown haired girl stepped out onto the porch, quietly closing the door behind her and sitting next to him.

          "I'm doing fine." He responded simply, not looking at her as she leaned over, trying to get a better look at him.

          "...I couldn't help but notice how the Fire Nation hurt you." Song said quietly, scooting closer to Zuko and reaching towards his scar. Zuko lurched away before she could touch him, grabbing her hand and pushing it away.

          Why is she trying to touch me? He thought angrily, shooting a sharp glance over at her. She withdrew, nodding slightly.

          "Sorry, I understand." She said quietly. "They hurt me too." Song pulled up her right pant leg, exposing dark red splotches across her skin. 

          Zuko's eyes widened as he looked at the scar, reaching all the way up to right above her knee. The burn must have been terrible, given how dark the scar was. 

          "I can only hope my father is out there, and safe." Song released her pant leg, covering the scar. "I wish the same safety for your father in this terrible war." 

          Zuko looked up to study her face, the pain in her eyes. He wasn't sure what to think, but a certain voice came back to him.

          "No, I am calling you ignorant, uninformed, as everyone is in different areas." Y/N had been holding a cup of tea, staring at the fire in front of her. The flames illuminated her features in an ominous way, but she was still gorgeous in the low light. "You have left the Fire Nation, and are traveling the world, so I think you will witness what you need to firsthand soon enough. It is only a matter of time." 

          He recognized the loss in Song's eyes. The worry. Y/N had told him about the loss of her mother to firebenders, and the worry over her father, who was fighting in the war.

          You will witness what you need to firsthand soon enough... The families, losses, and pain. Song. Y/N. Thousands of others.

          "Don't give up hope." Song said with a smile. "The Avatar has returned. He'll end the war, and the Fire Nation's bloodshed will finally come to an end."

          The Avatar. He thought, staring at the ground.

          "Go with the Avatar. End this stupid war." Zuko held back tears as he remembered Y/N, dying in his arms. Before Katara had stabilized her, she had been fading fast, the words she uttered barely audible.

          "Stay safe. Think before you act. Listen to the people close to you. Get rid of those whispering voices in your head, think clearly, and I will be with you."

          "Yes." Zuko responded aloud, looking back at Song, who tilted her head curiously.

          "I am well aware of his return."

                             —|➖◾️➖|—

                                Y/N's POV

          Y/N didn't like how quiet it was. Momo kept up a constant chatter, but the way her boots clacked on the stone floor made it seem so empty and endless. The echoes seemed to go on forever. 

          The torch was extremely low, only a few minutes from burning out, and she was starting to panic. The only other light source she had on her was a glowy jellyfish scar, and it didn't give off near enough light to be able to see the ground.

          What she would give for a firebender right around then. 

          Not just any firebender. Y/N thought to herself with a sigh. She wanted Zaji and Amo's pointless but hilarious banter to fill the echoing silence. She wanted to hold onto Zuko's arm to keep warmer in the damp, cold underground as he held out a bright fire to push away the darkness, which was now creeping closer and closer with every second that passed.

          Y/N stopped in her tracks as the torch went dark. She let go of the hot stump, and stared blankly at the pure black around her. 

          She wanted to scream in frustration, or curl up on the floor and die, but only moments later, her eyes adjusted to the darkness, and a faint green glow was visible above her. The longer she stared, the brighter it looked, and soon she could see a long trail of glowing green crystals, snaking down the next passageway.

          "Let's go, Momo." 

                             —|➖◾️➖|—

          "Took you long enough." Katara commented as Y/N stepped out into the blazing sunshine. Momo quickly flew from her shoulder, glad to fly in open air.

          Poor Sokka looked absolutely dead inside, and he had a weird red splotch on his forehead.

          "What happened to you?" Y/N asked, pointing at the mark. She herself was covered in dust, she looked entirely grey save for her slightly contrasted E/C eyes.

          "Now nobody react to this, but I think that kid might be the Avatar." Chong whispered loudly, and Sokka promptly smacked himself right where the red mark was.