Chapter 21: Monster

It was the dead of night, but sleep was impossible.

          Y/N leaned against the ship railing, watching the dark waves pass by. The design, the feel, and the people on the Watertribe ship were all comfortingly familiar, but her footsteps echoed on wood instead of metal now, reminding her of his absence.

          Pakku, the waterbender master that had been teaching Katara and Aang, was escorting them to Omashu, where Aang intended to learn earthbending from the king. 

          Being reunited with both of her siblings was wonderful, she never wanted to leave them again, but a part of her wanted to hear Amo's disruptive, wheezing laugh, see Zaji's small but sincere smile, get fire thrown at her when she interrupted a certain prince's meditation time with a tea tray in hand.

          "You must be Y/N. A little late to be out on deck, isn't it?" Y/N snapped her gaze up from the water, looking up at Master Pakku, approaching her across the deck.

          "I'd rather be awake out here than staring at the ceiling belowdecks." She explained simply, turning back to watch the storm clouds crouched on the horizon. Pakku stopped next to her, studying her closely.

          "I've heard you are also a female waterbender." He commented, and Y/N snorted.

          "What's the female part got to do with it?"

          "And apparently have the same amount of sass as your little sister." He laughed, and Y/N gave him an unamused eyeroll, looking over at him.

          "Are you looking for a fight, or just trying to get me to leave?" She asked, turning away from the sea to lean sideways on the railing. 

          "I don't know. Katara said you weren't that good of a bender." She what?! Y/N pushed of the railing, taking a fighting stance.

          "Oh yeah?" Y/N challenged. "I don't care if I almost died yesterday, I'll fight you, old man!" She brought the water out of the containers strapped to her sides. Miraculously, she had been able to keep track of them through all the craziness, and not lose them.

          "Watch your tongue, young lady. You're being irrational, picking a fight in your current state. You don't even have the gift of healing." Pakku took a defensive stance, his words tinged with annoyance.

          "I can do so much more than you think I can." Y/N threatened, her floating streams of water freezing solid, but still moving around, causing it to make a disturbing crackling sound. Something in her head warned her to calm down, but another part of her reminded her that she could paralyze this old grouch in seconds.

          Plus, the reality of what she could do hadn't even set in quite yet. Over the sleepless hours since the incident, she had found it easier to not think about it, rather than shudder at the image burned permanently into her eyes.

          "What's going on?" Sokka asked, standing in the doorway, looking confused. "Y/N, you should be in bed, you're still recovering." Y/N relaxed as he walked out on deck, putting her water away and sighing.

          "Sorry Sokka. Did we wake you?" She asked, glaring at Pakku, who smirked as Sokka guided Y/N back to the hammocks.

          "Careful, Y/N." Pakku called after her. "Lose your cool that fast, and you won't last a week, La's blessing or no."

          Y/N spun around, wide eyed, but the door had already shut, hiding him from view.  

                             —|➖◾️➖|—