Chapter 8: Left Behind

Zuko's POV

          Zuko marched up the ramp of his ship, the defeated crew hauling themselves back inside. There were many injured from the Kyoshi Warriors, and all were tired. 

          Zuko strained to keep his eyes forward, to focus on the problem at hand: the Avatar had escaped again. Still, every bone in his body ached to turn around. He gave in halfway up, slowly turning on his heel to look back down at the beach below him.

          The limp, crumpled figure still lay next to a big rock. The spiked stone surface was spattered lightly with dried blood, and was black at the top with scorch marks. The unconscious person wasn't burnt, but whenever the tips of the waves touched her head, the foam tinted red, only dispersing when it retreated back to the sea.

          You did that. A voice in his head reminded him, and his anger dissipated into regret and sorrow. He moved to take a step back towards her, but stopped, suddenly furious with himself.

          She's getting to be a distraction. He stared at the red tinging the sand around her head. Restore your honor. Your throne. That is more important. Always has been. Leave the desperate peasant. 

          Zuko turned back towards his ship, proud of his decision. He entered the ship, and a crewman pulled a lever, metal grinding as the ramp lifted up to close again. 

          Zuko knew he should immediately get to work, but he paused, glancing back at the closing door, barely catching a glimpse of her H/C hair, matted with blood and tangled everywhere. 

          Y/N...

                              Y/N's POV 

          Y/N felt herself waking up, and immediately regretted it, silently crying in her mind for someone to shoot her with a sleep dart, or knock her out. Her head throbbed uncontrollably, and a sharp knife of pain went straight through her brain as she opened her eyes to the bright sun.

          It took her a few minutes to sit up and get her wits about her. The memories didn't come back until she saw the partially destroyed village nearby. She whipped her head around to look back at the beach, and the indentation in the sand where the ship used to be, and where the ramp fell.

          He ditched me here. She thought in disbelief, slowly scooting back to lean against the large rock she's had hit her head on. After a moment, she realized it wasn't so much of a surprise. She had expected it to happen much sooner.

          "What's the matter? Your friends leave you behind? Awe." Y/N snapped her head up to see a girl, dressed in a Kyoshi warrior uniform. She stumbled up fast, unsteadily taking a defensive stance.

          "Stay back." She threatened, nervously glancing around as two others appeared behind the first. 

          "Or what? You'll firebend at us? We're pretty used to it by now, and you don't have your army to hide behind." The Kyoshi warriors advanced, and Y/N slowly stepped into the shallow water, thinking carefully.

          "It's not what you think. I'll be on my own way if you leave me be. This is your last warning." Y/N's statement was ignored, all three girls drawing fans from their waists and leaping at her.

          She yelled in fear and uncertainty, still feeling unsteady as she bent the water around her, slicing their fans in half and cutting the golden tassels that hung inches from their necks. She brought all of the water up, slowly exhaling to freeze them in place, a sharp icicle at each of their necks.