Chapter 10: Waterbender Scum

"What??" All three asked in unison, and Y/N traced the messy little symbols engraved into the bottom, almost invisible. It read waterbender scum. She couldn't help but chuckle, turning it over in her hands before reattaching it to her belt.

          "What are you laughing at? You're kidding right? Where did you actually get these?" Sokka gestured frantically at the containers, Y/N snatching the other from his hand and putting it on as well.

          "Wonder how I got to the mainland?" She asked, too lazy to try coming up with a lie to cover it up. What was the point, anyways?

          "You made a deal with ZUKO?!" Katara asked, her voice rising. Y/N frowned at her, flicking her forehead lightly.

          "What was I meant to do?" She asked, smiling. "Frantically paddle after in a canoe?" 

          "She's got a point." Aang told Katara, who still didn't look happy. 

          "It went fine until he knocked me out. Anyways, that's not important. You guys are trying to get somewhere, and have Mr. Angry Fireball on your tail, plus pirates thanks to Katara, so we have to get moving." Y/N prompted, gesturing to pack up.

          "No! We're tired, and they don't know where our camp is, so we'll leave tomorrow morning." Sokka huffed, plopping down next to the flying bison, leaning against him. Y/N bit her lip.

          "If you're sure they won't find us..." She said hesitantly. "But I better not see any of you near the main river. Stay. At. Camp." Everyone nodded, and went off to do their own thing. 

          Y/N sat down, scratching at her rough Earth Kingdom clothes. Moments later, a flying lemur swooped down, landing on her shoulder. 

          "Well, hello there." She smiled brightly. "Aren't you an exotic one?" Sokka opened one eye, interrupting his nap.

          "Oh yeah. You haven't met our friends. That's Momo, and this is Appa." Momo picked at her bag, and she opened it, allowing him to choose a fruit.

          "I truly thought your kind was extinct, my friend." Y/N wondered as he sat on her shoulder to eat. "I guess you can't trust all books." 

                             —|〰️〰️〰️|—

          Y/N knew something was off the moment she woke up. She quickly sat up from Appa's saddle, her temporary sleeping arrangement until she got a sleeping bag. A quick look around, and she sighed in frustration. Katara was gone, and if she was right, the scroll was too.

          "Sokka!" Y/N hissed quietly, jumping off of Appa and lightly landing in the grass, shaking her twin brother. "Wake up!" He jolted upright, and immediately read his sister's mind, digging through his bag. 

          "It's gone." He confirmed, showing her his bag that the scroll was missing. Y/N facepalmed, standing up. 

          "Hey, Aang." Y/N called softly, and the Avatar woke, slowly sitting up with a yawn.

          "Yeah?" He asked sleepily, then his eyes went wide. "Look out!" He yelled, and Sokka and Y/N rolled to either side without question. A weighted net fell where they had been moments before, some kind of mechanism causing it to curl in on itself.

          "Pirates!" Sokka yelled, grabbing his bag and whipping out his boomerang. Y/N drew water from the nearby pool, circling it around herself and watching the advancing pirates carefully. 

          "Agh! Help!" Aang yelled, tangled up in a net. Y/N lashed out with a sharp edge of water, but it clanked harshly against the net. It's made of metal filaments! She turned as a net was flying her way, attempting to block it, but underestimating the weight and speed.