Chapter 58: Found

Y/N wished she could stop time and rewind. Her stupid decisions finally caught up to her.

          The fight started off with a bang, Azula lunging first, sending a wave of blue fire towards Zuko with a crazed smile and mad glint in her eye.

          In that moment she would've given her soul to La if it would change something, anything.

          Zuko dodged, and sent his own devastating attack back, having new strength drawn from the comet. Azula cut through it, laughing hysterically. She was losing it.

          No one had been in the way, it had just been Zuko and Azula out there. It would have been better if she hadn't been there at all.

          Y/N had to duck back behind the wall to shield herself from the waves of heat. She could hear Zuko yelling something, but she didn't dare look around the corner again until the heat strangely dispersed.

          "Use your lightning! What? Afraid I'll send it back?" Zuko challenged. Y/N just barely peeked around the wall, making sure she wasn't seen.

          "I'm not afraid of you," Azula laughed, "But there is someone else here that should fear me."

          She couldn't feel, she couldn't even hear herself.

          Everything seemed to slow as Azula pointed directly at the wall Y/N crouched behind. She reached to her side, but there was no water container. She reached towards the air, but it was so dry with heat, could she even pull any from it? She had no water to bend.

          The enormous wall would break, and if the initial rubble, shrapnel, and electricity didn't kill her, it would bury her alive. There was no time to dodge. 

          She stood, certain death staring her in the face.

          Then he was there.

           "ZUKO!" Everything finally came into focus, and Y/N could her her own hoarse screaming, sobs wracking her body. "WAKE UP! YOU HAVE TO WAKE UP, PLEASE!" 

          He wasn't moving. Y/N gathered him up in her arms, screaming for any response. Sobbing uncontrollably, she grabbed one of his hands, feeling the wrist for a pulse. She couldn't feel it. It had to be there, right? She was just too panicked to feel it.

          Right?

          "Zuko..." Y/N's sobs were turning into muffled hiccups as she pulled Zuko's completely limp body close, burying her face in his shoulder as she tried to speak his name with her destroyed throat.

          For a brief second she wished she hadn't told Zaji and Amo to leave. They could get him help, to safety. Katara could've been here, but she was safe with Amo. But Y/N had insisted they go, so they were safe. If they had been here Azula likely would have killed them.

          Azula.

          She was just laughing, nearly choking on air as she watched Y/N cradle Zuko's still form. 

          "Azula..." Y/N stood, letting Zuko gently rest on the stone, doing nothing to stop the stream of tears down her face. She was still weak, injured, and had lost a lot of blood, but none of that mattered now. She wanted blood. No, she wanted Zuko back. Blood. Stop, he may still be alive. Blood.

          "'You won't touch them' landed you in a fantastic spot, didn't it?" Azula laughed. "You're a fool. You should have feared me more."