Chapter 20: Warned

Y/N's POV

          Y/N flickered in and out of consciousness, barely aware of a short fight between Katara and Zuko before everything seemed quiet. After about half an hour, Katara appeared, saying help was on the way, and to wait for someone to pick her up.

          So she waited, not feeling especially cold, or pained, just extremely tired. She could tell it was day now, but a snowstorm was coming in, luckily blocked by the ice structures around the Spirit Oasis. 

          There was something calming about the place, it hummed with an energy that resonated within her, it felt like home.

          All the blurry shapes and colors all suddenly sharpened into reality, and Y/N sat up, not quite sure where the strength came from, but she didn't question it. She began moving towards the pool. It drew her in, calling to her.

          Y/N found herself cross-legged in front of the pool, where Aang had been sitting, but closer to the edge. The two fish circled each other, around and around the peaceful pool, over and over. Touch the water. Something in her mind told her, and she obeyed in a trance-like state, dipping the fingertips of her right hand into the water.

          Immediately, the jellyfish sting on her leg began to burn, causing her to gasp in pain. Each red tendril felt like it was boiling, sinking further into her skin. She pulled up her pant leg to look at it, see if something was wrong, to see that the marks had turned an inky black. 

          Y/N didn't know what was wrong, she pulled her fingers from the water, but the pain didn't subside. She simply rocked back and forth, not sure what else to do other than endure the pain and hope it would stop.

          You're incredibly lucky, Y/N, or very talented. The voice in her head was clear now, and as soon as it spoke, the sting stopped burning. Y/N looked around, but nothing else had changed, except one fish wasn't circling anymore. La was still, it had come closer to the edge Y/N sat on, and was hovering right below the surface of the water.

          You seem confused. Count the length of your stings. The voice said, and Y/N hesitated before pulling her pant leg up to her thigh. She lightly traced the marks with her finger, the black tendrils clustered in some spots more than others, thin lines wrapping around her calf and up her leg farther than she'd thought.

          She began counting the feet, and her eyes widened with disbelief. She looked at La, then back at the stings.

          "About 13 feet." Y/N confirmed shakily. "Thirteen feet of tentacles. La, I am eternally grateful for your extended mercy-"

          I did not do that, Y/N. La cut her off. You should have died in less than a minute. You're sister was right, you have a talent for the small details. Y/N didn't understand. She should be dead. Was she dead? Was this the Spirit World? Is that why she could talk to La?

          You slowed the progress of the venom as it made it's way to your bloodstream, then completely stopped the blood flow in your own legs to stop it from getting to your heart. La seemed confused as well, flitting it tail a little. And somehow you are recovering miraculously from it. 

          "How did I do it? Why did you draw me here? Why are you speaking to me?" Y/N's questions spilled from her mouth before she could think about being respectful to the Spirit, but it didn't seem to mind. 

          You did it subconsciously, which is what worries me the most. I did not know it was possible for a mortal to do something like this. I have brought you here because I am considering taking away your bending.

Find Me | Zuko x reader | Avatar the Last Airbender | Book 1On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara