Chapter 31: Good Day

Leave it to Y/N's sibling's to make an owl knowledge spirit angry, and cause the library to sink at an alarming rate. Leave it to Aang to fly up using his glider with only Katara in tow, accidentally leaving the others. Leave it to Sokka to scream like a girl and run in circles.

          Leave it to Y/N to almost fall of a ledge while waterbending them an ice staircase to climb up at an agonizingly slow pace.

          Despite all the chaos and yelling, Y/N managed to get herself and Sokka to the top before the library sank below the sand, Toph letting go of the tower the second they tumbled through the window. 

          Y/N sat up, shouldering her now heavy bag. She kinda felt bad for taking the books from the Knowledge Spirit, but she didn't have enough time to see what she wanted to, and he DID just try to trap them underground.

          It took her a few moments to realize what was wrong. 

          She opened her mouth to comment on the silence, but stood up, and words failed her. Appa was gone. Aang was crying, Katara trying to comfort him, while Sokka, Toph, and Y/N just stared in slight shock. She felt like crying too.

          "It was the sandbenders." Toph said quietly. Aang turned his heel to stare at her.

          "You just let them take him." He spoke in a dangerously low voice. "You let them on purpose."

          "Aang, she held up a huge library for us to escape. Calm down. I'm sure she did her best." Y/N warned, stepping in front of Toph.

          "Maybe if you hadn't taken so long to get up, she could've let go and gotten Appa back." Aang shot at her, marching forwards, a scary blue flashing in his eyes. "She should've just dropped it while you were still in there!" 

          "Aang-" Katara scolded.

          "Who left us on the library floor and just flew up with Katara??" Y/N demanded. "Maybe if you'd grabbed all of us we would've gotten out sooner!" 

          "Why are you guys here?!" Aang yelled back. "Neither of you are even teaching me bending, and obviously you aren't very helpful!"

          "I could teach waterbending fine, thank you!" Y/N's voice rose to meet his. "And what would you do without Sokka's ideas? My mapreading?"

          "WE WOULD BE FINE WITHOUT YOU!" Aang screamed.

          "THEN WHY DON'T YOU GO FIND APPA BY YOURSELF, HUH?" Y/N screamed back. 

         "I will." Aang said malice in his tone as he opened his glider and jumped into the sky.

          "Aang! Wait!" Katara called, but he was already gone. "Great! What are we gonna do now, Y/N? Nice work."

          "I know, I know, I already feel bad." Y/N grumbled, sitting in the sand. "He'll come back eventually. I need to apologize."

          "Well he does too." Toph pointed out. 

          "We can't just sit here and wait. Without Appa, we need to start walking." Sokka pulled Y/N up, prodding her to move.

                             —|➖◾️➖|—

          The walk was terrible. 

          Y/N quickly found it impossible to draw water from the dry air, leaving the group with no water but what Katara and Y/N had strapped to their sides.

          Sokka stopped for a moment, grabbing Momo from Y/N's shoulder and holding his wings out to try making himself a Momo sun shade. Seconds after he stopped, Toph bumped into him, knocking the flying lemur from his head. 

           "Can you watch where you're-" He turned around, and cut himself off.

          "No." Toph said in a salty tone.

          "Quick water break." Y/N announced, opening one of her containers.

          "I don't want gross rocky library water." Sokka said. "See, I'll find the clean stuff. I've done my research." He walked over to a nearby cactus, slicing off a large piece and cutting it open. "See? You can get nice water from inside this thing."

          "Maybe I should bend the water out of that first." Y/N said hesitantly, but he promptly bit into it, sipping the cactus juice. "Never mind. How is it?" 

          "It's great!" He exclaimed quickly, shoving it into Y/N's hands. "Try it!"

          "Wait- Y/N, maybe..." Katara tried warning her, but Y/N had already taken a sip. Immediately, something didn't feel right, but it didn't feel wrong either...

          "How did we get out in the middle of the ocean?" Sokka asked, flailing around in the sand and kicking it up everywhere. The world was morphing in and out of reality, and Y/N could suddenly see the endless stretch of water. "Y/NnnnNN, waterbend us to an island or something we're gonnna droowwnnn..."

          Y/N attempted to waterbend them in a random direction, but nothing happened.

          "I'VE LOST MY BENDING!" She screeched in horror. "MOMO CHI BLOCKED MY BENDING!"

          "Oh boy..." Katara grumbled.

                             —|➖◾️➖|—

          "Why do whales get beached?" Y/N asked, nearly toppling over for the 500th time. "Like, you know youu caan't life on the laand... why are you goingg to da beech?" 

          "They don't do it on purpose, Y/N." Katara said patiently, helping her stay upright. Y/N scrunched up her eyebrows, thinking hard through the haze in her brain.

          "Well then, what?" She couldn't think correctly, but still wanted to prove Katara wrong. "The whale is so big though...."

          "Oh, is it now?" Katara asked, hauling her sister along.

          "Almost as big as the mushroom..." Y/N whispered in awe. Katara looked down at her, confused, but stopped as a blast of air ruffled her hair for a moment. 

          There was a mushroom cloud in the distance, sand and air spinning everywhere.

          "Giant... mushroom..." Sokka whispered. "Maybe it's friendly!" He threw up his arms, waving them around. "fRiEnDlY mUsHrOoM! mUsHy gIaNt fRiIeEnNd..."

          "How long do you think they'll be like this?" Toph asked, sandbending a little to half heartedly catch Y/N as she faceplanted in the sand, her giggles muffled in the ground.

          "Hopefully not much longer." Katara sighed. "I'm not sure how much more I can take. Y/N won't stop blabbering about caterpillars."

                             —|➖◾️➖|—

          Y/N didn't remember much from the rest of the day, or the night. She kinda remembered the mushroom. I like the mushroom. She remembered the bee things. I like beeess...

          When the group woke up the next morning, Y/N felt better than ever, even though she tripped over a stegosaurus and ate a pencil. 

          Then the bees were back. Angry bees. I don't like beeeess...

          Then the bees were gone. I like beeessssss...

          Aang went mental with a few tiny rock benders, a few sleds went kaboom, and Sokka ate lava.

          Yep, today was a goood day.