Chapter 53: Powerful

I know that the Boiling Rock rescue is chronologically before Katara's trip with Zuko, but for the sake of my planned plot, the trips will be in the order of Aang, Katara, then Sokka.

          "I've lost my stuff." Zuko shrugged, sitting down with everyone at the fire. Outside the temple it was pouring rain, the low rumble of the water hitting the roof gave a peaceful feel to the night. 

          "Don't look at me, I didn't touch your stuff." Toph said defensively. Her feet were healing well, and she could see okay now. 

           "No, I mean my firebending. I've lost it." Zuko ran his fingers through his hair, leaning on his knees as he stared at the fire.

           "What do you mean?" F/N looked up from turning over some meat, making sure the flames didn't burn it.

          "Would've been convenient if you'd lost it several months ago." Katara shot coldly, taking a sip of water. F/N rolled her eyes, also reaching for water, something she could drink through her mask. Everyone was getting a little tired of her snarky remarks towards Zuko.

          "Shut up, Katara." Aang retorted. 

          "PFF-" F/N's water nearly came out her nose as she doubled over, struggling to swallow as she laughed. Toph was stifling snorts, and Sokka was shaking, a suppressed smile on his face. 

          "What do you mean 'shut up'?? What's so funny?" Katara snapped, and F/N managed to swallow, coughing a little.

          "Better keep quiet, Katara, you just got told off by the most passive Avatar the world has ever known." F/N chuckled, Sokka and Toph seemed to be recovering too.

           "Anyways," Aang continued, looking slightly uncomfortable. "I think the problem is that Zuko doesn't have enough rage or hatred to power his bending like he used to." 

          "If making him angry is all we need to do...." Sokka got up, giddily poking at Zuko with his sword's sheath. 

           "Cut it out!" Zuko pushed him away, ruffling his hair in annoyance. Sokka sat back down, looking disappointed. 

           "I'm no expert, but every bender has learned, originally, from the first benders, right? Badgermoles, Sky Bisons, maybe Zuko needs to learn firebending instead of ragebending." F/N cut in, gesturing for Zuko to sit back down.

          "Right. We need to find a volcano." Sokka concluded.

          "Okay, really quick, I've been wanting to ask for a little while now, what is wrong with you?" F/N asked genuinely, leaning over to look at him. "It's dragons, Sokka, something we unfortunately have a shortage of."

          "Exactly." Zuko agreed. "The closet thing we might have is the Sun Warriors ruins, where an ancient civilization lived 100 years ago. It would be worth checking out, maybe we can find some clues."

           "It's settled then, Zuko and I will go tomorrow, and try to learn firebending there." Aang clapped his hands, and Katara stood.

          "Just the two of you? Are you out of your mind?" She asked, gesturing aggressively in Zuko's direction. "You really think-"

          "Katara, that is enough out of you!" F/N stood abruptly, grabbing a plate and handing her a portion of meat. "I've heard enough for tonight. You're acting like a child, and I would like to sit here in peace. I'll see you tomorrow." Her words were deadly cold, and even Katara didn't try to argue, taking her plate and walking off to her room with a glare tossed over her shoulder.

          "My apologies. I overreacted." F/N sat back down after she was gone, portioning meat for everyone but Aang, and giving the Avatar a plate of tofu and vegetables. Everyone looked slightly taken aback, but relaxed pretty quickly.

          "...you didn't have to do that." Zuko pointed out hesitantly. "She's right-"

          "This isn't about you." F/N cut in, waving a hand dismissively. "Katara and I haven't been on the best terms the past couple days anyway, and it's already been decided, you joined our group, and so we need to push any feelings aside and realize that we need to trust you now, without question." She peered back down at the fire. "Just as you should do the same for us."

          Zuko nodded, and began eating, the group falling into comfortable silence. F/N set her own portion aside to eat in private, poking at the fire and adding more wood.

          "I know this might be rude to ask," Zuko spoke, again, sounding a little nervous. "But do you not eat in front of people? Has no one here seen your face?" 

          "Nope." Sokka answered for her, finishing his food. "None of us. She eats by herself, and sleeps in her mask."

          "Can I ask why?" Zuko pushed. "Do you have a scar?" F/N looked up at him, resisting the urge to touch her throat, where the burn scar still was, amber eyes meeting icy white. She paused for a moment, then set down the stick she held.

          "I have many scars, but I am not ashamed of them." She started carefully, stacking the used plates to wash later. "I wear the mask for personal safety. Once the war is done, it is likely I will leave it behind." 

          "Are you scared someone will find you?" That question made her snap her head back up. He didn't look suspicious, but that question... did he know? 

          "...you could say that." F/N didn't break eye contact as she spoke slowly. "Yeah. After the war, though, I'm not sure what I'm going to do, to be honest. I can't go right back to the life I had before I got involved, it won't be the same."

          "That's understandable." Zuko broke first, tearing his eyes away. "I'm sorry about your parents." F/N nodded silently, drinking some more water, and standing, taking her plate. Her containers felt heavy on her belt.

          "Thanks."

                              —| § § |—

          Zuko wasn't around for the next couple days. F/N took the time to train and heal, her hands better in no time. By the time Zuko came back from his second "field trip", they had matching white scar lines on their hands. Zuko's reached up his forearm.

          "F/N!" Katara cried, falling into her arms. "I didn't do it, I couldn't-"

          "I understand, calm down. I'm proud of you." F/N said quietly, smiling to herself. Even if F/N was down a bloody path, Katara hadn't stained her hands. She let go, running over to Aang. F/N watched her go, hearing Zuko walking up behind her.

          "She's powerful— why hasn't she snapped me in half by now?" He asked in a shaky voice. 

          "Because she's seen what it does to people."