Chapter 1: Mistaken

"Katara I swear if you touch my oar one more time I will slap you into next week!" Y/N yelled, barely pulling the canoe out of a current and escaping the moving icebergs. 

          "I gotcha this time!" Sokka suddenly raised his spear, and Y/N was barely able to duck in time, the shaft smacking Katara instead. 

          "Ow!" She yelled. "That hurt!" Y/N smacked the shaft away from her face, trying to move away from her siblings. That's impossible. I'm in the middle. Which one is less stupid? She thought desperately. She grabbed her net, throwing it into the water only to be nailed in the back of the head.

          "Sokka stop swinging that around! Katara even had one earlier- GET YOUR HANDS OFF OF THAT! Keep this up and I'm leaving you two alone to do the fishing!" Y/N smacked his hands away from the edges of her net. 

          "Katara got us all wet by using her weird magicky stuff! She didn't catch squat!" Sokka drew his hands back, then tried pushing at Y/N as she was trying to bring in her net. 

          "It's waterbending, perfectly normal way to fish, please just STOP POKING ME I HAVE THREE." Y/N pushed Sokka roughly out of the way, bringing in her catch. She sighed heavily, setting the net in the bottom of the canoe and looking at her siblings. Dad. Help me.

          "Well at least YOU keep your weirdness to yourself." Sokka said to Y/N, looking pointedly at Katara. 

          "It's not that I can't waterbend like her, I work with nets better! I think it's more efficient!" Y/N snapped defensively.

          "Oh so you're saying that you're better at waterbending than me, huh? Who caught the first fish?" Katara snapped, poking Y/N in the back of the head. Y/N grabbed her paddle and stuck it in the nearest iceberg, getting out of the canoe and throwing the paddle in Sokka's face.

          "I did." She shook around her net. "Getting one up in the air doesn't count as a 'catch'. I'm going back to the village, you two have fun on your own. I'm sick of dragging your butts around to go fishing." Y/N huffed, jumping from iceberg to iceberg back towards the village.

           "Oh yeah? I bet we can come home with twice the amount of fish you just caught!" Sokka yelled after her. Great.

          "I better not be disappointed, then!"

                             —|〰️〰️〰️|—

          "Where are your siblings?" Gran Gran was on her as soon as Y/N returned. It had been a hard trip without a canoe, hopping from iceberg to iceberg and hoping a sea creature wouldn't come along and decide they wanted a waterbender snack. Freezing new icebergs for herself only did so much.

          "They're fishing. I brought back the first of our catch to start lunch." Y/N set down her pack and net by the fire, inspecting it closely before bringing the fish to the water, knocking one out with a rock to gut it.

          "That's not it. You finally got angry enough to leave them out there." Gran Gran walked up behind Y/N, watching her work. "Hey, I like the head." Y/N rolled her eyes and looked up at her.

          "Too bad, I don't like the eyes staring at me." Y/N held up the head, shaking it around. "Here, take it if you really want it." I need to calm down. She sighed softly, putting it down. 

          "I'm sorry Gran Gran. I just... ever since dad left for the war... I don't know. I'm having trouble keeping the village under control." She flicked the bloody knife in her hand around in weird, vague gestures.