Christmas Wander: Part 2

My eyes bulged out and I quickly concealed my expression when I realized everyone's eyes were on me.

"What did you get honey?" My mom asked curiously. "Show us."

Show you? What is this? Show and tell? What are you doing? We've never done this before.

"Um..." My eyes didn't turn to look at Jackson, instead dipped down into the bag. My gaze burned into the gift bag, as if I glared long enough it would disappear. "They're just earrings."

"Earrings? You didn't even open it." Sophia raised a brow suspiciously.

With everyone's attention on me, I felt like I had no other choice. I swallowed, my trembling fingers reaching into the bag to pull out the velvet box. My thoughts were all over the place. I want it to be a ring. I do not. I want a ring. No, I do not!

"Well, go on. Don't keep us in suspense." Ruiji chuckled, completely unaware of the atmosphere. Sophia and my mom were both staring at the box with wide eyes. It was no doubt they were thinking what I was thinking.

Blowing out a breath, I lifted the lid to reveal...

Earrings. Fucking earrings. Motherfucking-I was kidding!

I sighed, a sigh that was full of disappointment, but I masked it up well. "It's earrings!" I laughed cheerfully. I showed it to them, watching as they gushed over how beautiful they were, but Sophia was to the side, trying to inspect the real reaction that was hidden.

My eyes didn't meet Jackson's once and I felt him shift beside me. "Jackson these are beautiful!" Mei squealed in delight as she took the box from my hands.

I didn't mind it, actually I wanted it gone from my sight. Of course they were going to be earrings. What did I expect? Why did I get my hopes up? There was no need to rush our relationship and I didn't want to get married just because I was having his kid.

"Jackson, these are gorgeous and...expensive." My mom winced, glancing at me. She knew I was never a fan of expensive gifts. I hated people spending money on me, but right now, that wasn't the problem.

"She'll need them later on..." He said, trailing off and I could feel his gaze on the side of my head. I was so lost with my thoughts, that his words went straight over my head and I shrugged it off.

Thankfully, soon enough, the attention was drawn away from me and everyone else started opening their gifts, which gave me the chance to slip away without anyone noticing.

Was I even ready for marriage or was my pregnancy hormones just acting up again? I hoped it was the latter, because past Gabi wouldn't have made up something like that in her head. She would have simply thought nothing of it, unlike present me.

Small velvet jewelry box? Must be a ring!

I groaned at my naiveness, nearly on the verge of tears. Leaning against the railing of the penthouse balcony, I looked out at the busy streets of Los Angeles. For a moment, I was distracted with the thought of people still traveling and going out, especially during a busy and dangerous time like Christmas. Yes, the virus had calmed down, but it was still out there. I started to worry for Eve and my coworkers. I loved them to death, but they were idiots, dumb enough to party during a pandemic. I wouldn't be surprised if they were out among those bustling on the streets.