A Troubled World

"When I was your age, it was very hard for us to find food to eat." Mei's accent rang throughout the kitchen. "Eat the food!" Her hand came up to whack Jackson's head.

"Ow!" Jackson jumped back, wincing as he rubbed the side of his head

"Ow!" Jackson jumped back, wincing as he rubbed the side of his head. He turned to me with a pout. "It's not funny." He whined as I placed a hand over my mouth trying to stifle my laughter.

Watching those two argue was like watching a quarrel between a mother and son. Thinking about it, for a second, I assumed Mei was Jackson's mother, based at how close they seemed to be to one another, until I remembered how he always addressed her by her name and I doubted that he would hire his own mother as his housekeeper.

I thought back to the first day we met. A week ago. He had said something about his mother and he seemed sad and uncomfortable talking about it. At the time, I shrugged it off, because it wasn't my place to push for an answer, but my curiosity was starting to take over me. This was Jackson Wand, a kpop idol. Someone that I knew of, but knew little about. I assumed that there were many crazy fans out there that knew everything about him, even his private life, but invading someone's privacy without their consent was something I refused to do.

"You're always thinking about something." Jackson made his way over beside me. "What's going on in that pretty head of yours?"

Mei raised a brow, eyeing both of us. I tried to make it seem like nothing was happening between us, but this past few days have made it harder for me to keep myself away from Jackson and distancing was apparently something that Jackson didn't understand or care for. He flirted with me as if she wasn't even standing there. The only person that I noticed that he always put an act in front of was Tony.

"Nothing." I replied, glancing back down at my phone screen as it lit up. Dread filled the pit of my stomach when the caller ID name popped up.

Birthgiver.

I hear Jackson gasp beside me. "Really?" He asked shocked, before letting out a loud cackle.

I couldn't help but laugh along with him, shaking my head, but then my face went blank in a matter of seconds. I realized that if I didn't pick it up that one time, she would continue calling and I didn't want Jackson or Mei questioning me on why I wasn't picking up the call. I grunted frustratedly, gripping the phone in my fist. I excused myself, ignoring the concerned looks on Jackson and Mei's face. Making my way into the nearest hallway, I jabbed at the answer button, and reluctantly brought the phone to my ear.

"What is it?" I mumbled, the words slipping from the lips before I could stop myself.

"What is it? What is it?! That's all you have to say? I have been calling non-stop, young lady!" My shoulders sagged against the wall, remembering how I noticed all the missed phone calls and texts, but refusing to acknowledge them, because I knew they would ruin my mood. And I was right. "Your father and I were worried sick. I thought something happened to you."