The Parents: Part 2

"I beg your pardon?"

My eyes flickered up to hers with unease. "I'm pregnant?" I squeaked, having it come out more like a question than an actual fact.

"Mon dieu! T'es serieux?! Les enfants de nos jours! Tu essaises de me faire une crise cardiaque?"

I shrink back in my seat, gripping the couch. Eve sat beside me staring up at my mom in a mix of horror and amazement. "She speaks French? I thought she was just white."

To anyone, my mom seemed like the average white woman and you couldn't really tell that she was from any other country, but when she got real angry or overwhelmed, that's when the French side of her starts emerging.

"Yep." I sighed, not listening to anything else she was saying, but patiently waiting for her to calm down. "Mom, please..."

"Arret! I ask the questions and you answer. Tu comprends?" I nodded slowly, fiddling with the zipper of my jacket. "How did this even happen? I thought you hated boys."

"Not Jackson." I mumbled.

She sighs heavily, running a hand through her hair. "How did this happen?"

"It just happened. He took me on the date, we went back to his hotel room, and...then...it just happened. I didn't realize we didn't use a condom until later."

"Irresponsable!" She sneered and I flinched. "I've always trusted you to be the responsible one. You've always been responsible, Gabriella. I did not expect this from you." Shaking her head, she paces back and forth in front of us. "Does Jackson know?"

"No." I confessed.

"You will tell him today. No buts, no excuses, and no avoiding it until the last minute." Her pacing stops as she glances over at me. "The baby?" Her voice went up slightly as she asked the question. Despite her being upset in this moment, I knew she wanted me to keep the baby. She's always wanted grandkids, but during a time where I was financially stable, had a house, and was married. Here I was, somewhat financially stable, living in an apartment, and not married. If my overly conservative religious side of my mom's family heard about this, it would be a top scandal and the news would spread fast like wild fire.

"I'm keeping the baby." A smile settled on my lips as her face softened and her bottom lip started to tremble. "Mom..." I reach out to her, but she steps away. I guess I deserved that too.

"I'm fine. I'm happy that you're keeping the baby, I really am, but make sure you learn from this. I understand that attractive boys like Jackson can cloud your decision making, but don't let them. That just makes you look dumb and-"

"Mom, I get it." I groaned as Eve snickered next to me. "I'm so sorry." I stood up, engulfing her in a sudden hug that takes her by surprise. It takes her a moment to regain her composure and her arms wrap around me, keeping me safe and secure. My tears start flowing before I have time to hold them.

My mom sighs, patting my back gently. "You cry too much." She chuckles as I groan in annoyance. "And I know you're sorry, it's okay. I'm just glad you at least told me, even if it was three weeks late." With my back to Eve, I can't see what's happening, but I hear my mom scoff playfully, no doubt rolling her eyes. "Come on, Eve. I know you want to."

"Yay!" Eve skips over to us and my mom grabs a hold of her, sandwiching us both in her embrace. 

"I'm going to be a grandma." She whispers softly, almost too soft to hear, but I hear it and it sounds like music to my ears.

---------------------

"Okay! How to Impress Asian Parents 101:

1. Dress nicely and shower. Also make sure that Jackson is the same, so they know that you're taking care of him.