Chapter Two: The Stranger

two days past, and I hadn't seen "Toast" again. or Ross. I had blocked him that night on everything I could and as far as I knew, he had never tried to contact me since.

By day, I worked as a waitress at a small denny's serving customers food. You know, normal stuff.

"Angelica!" My manager shouted at me to come over. I was confused, thinking I probably was in trouble for something. I walked over, "What's up?"

She leaned in close to me, "There's a guy on table 4 who's been looking at you this whole time."

My heart dropped, I didn't even need to look to know who it was. I got goosebumps, how did he find me? How did he know where i worked?

I hid my fear as best as I could, "I'll go talk to him." I said, as confidently as I could make myself sound.

My manager nodded, letting me know she'd protect me with a certain look in her eyes.

I walked over, he was cutting his pancakes. When he noticed me walking toward him, a smirk formed on his lips. "Angelica."

"How the fuck do you know my name?" I asked in a whisper yell. "What're you even doing here, you psycho?!"

"Take a seat." He pointed at the chair opposite from him with his fork.

He had a certain aura, an aura that made me sit when he told me to. It wasn't anything sexual, definitely not. He just was an intimidating guy, the best I can describe it is like a very strict father you know would whoop your ass if you got a C in a class.

He smiled, chewing his food. "Listen, I just wanted to let you know that Ross will no longer be bothering you."

I was in disbelief. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Exactly what you think."

I wanted to grab his fork and shove it down his throat, he didn't actually just murder—

He started laughing, nearly choking on his pancake. "I'm kidding, god loosen up! I didn't kill the dude, I just made sure his you-know-what won't work the same again."

What was I even supposed to say? Sure, that was Ross' karma I suppose, but I don't even know this man?

"Great. It's not like it ever worked properly in the first place." I rolled my eyes, and Toast nearly spit his coffee out. "Now, seriously...who are you, what are you doing here and how do you know my name?"

"Ah, ah, ah." He smirked again, putting his finger on my mouth. "Let's play truth or dare."

I smacked his finger away, and he chuckled. "What are we? 12?"

"Truth or dare, Angelica."

I might not know Toast very well, but I did know he doesn't take no for an answer. And also that I shouldn't test him...not seriously anyway. I knew he was fond of my attitude, but he'd definitely do something if I took it too far. "Whatever, truth."

"Whats your favorite color?"

"Are you fucking serious right now?" I scoffed. I looked at him for a second, realizing he was serious. "Black."

He chuckled. It was my turn. "Truth or dare."

"Dare."

Oh, of course this fucker chose dare. But I'd been twelve before, I knew what I wanted and I knew how to get it. "I dare you to tell me the truth on how you found me."

I'd got him. He set his fork down and cleaned his mouth with a napkin. "I researched you."

"What the fuck?" I said. "Why-"

"That was your question." He stopped me. "Truth or dare."

"Truth."

"Are you happy right now?"

"Sorry? Happy?" I laughed in his face, "With you here? Of course, not."

"No, I mean happy with your life." He took a sip of his coffee. "With the minimum wage salary, the shitty ex-boyfriend, tips from the strip club, living with your mom?"

I hesitated, "Yeah, i'm a fucking minimalist."

He laughed, "Funny, but I know you're lying. Your body language says it all."

"Body language? You're a profiler now?"

"Perhaps." He said. "I can tell you're scared of me, but also feel comfortable around me for a reason unknown— that's why you're still sitting here instead of calling the cops. You know, as any sensible person would do if a stranger you met once came looking for you." He paused, putting his arms on the table, leaning closer to me. "That you're bored with your life, you know you're destined to do something bigger — but not traditional, like a job or anything. But you're stuck and don't know what to do."

Wow, he was really on point. Almost to a tee. I wouldn't let him know that though, I opened my mouth to say something but then my manager called me.

"Angelica!" She yelled from the kitchen. "I'm paying you to work not chit-chat!"

I looked at him, and he smiled. He smiled so wide, it seemed as though his teeth sparkled. He got up from his chair, then put his hand out to help me out of mine. "I have to go anyway." He said.

I walked with him to the entrance of the restaurant, and held the door open for him to leave. Right before he walked out, he turned back to me and said, "We'll continue this later, no funny business— I will answer your questions." Then he walked away.

As I watched him step into his completely tinted car, I thought later?

I knew at this point I couldn't get rid of this "Toast" guy, and it sucked. I don't know what I was getting myself into, but after that conversation, I realized it's something bigger than me. What I'm destined to do, according to him.
And I also realized he didn't pay for his meal.

authors note:

if this makes no sense i am so sorry but it's literally 1am 😭🤚 believe it or not tho, although this chapter is just dialogue it's pretty important to the future events 😎👍 also YES this is a corpse fanfic not toast AND I SWEAR corpse will enter the story soon, and he will be THE love interest. like miss Angelica said, toast is supposed to be more of a father figure, he's not a love interest, corpse will be the ONLY one 😁 so yeah sorry corpse isnt in the story yet but.....
slow burn is the best burn ;)
bye that sounded sexual but it's not i swear