Chapter Fifteen: Trouble Brews

hi! <3 before this chapter starts I want to say thank you for all the support, its so fun writing this and knowing ppl are reading! Also, this fanfic is also available on Ao3 if you prefer to read there. I don't really know how it works over there, but I will try to figure it out. Also pretty sure this book will last about 30 chapters, afterwards I will make a Dream fanfic. so pls follow me if you'll be down for that :D dare I say...down bad HEHEHEHEHEH idk yet LMAO anyway on to the chapter :)))

I woke up the next morning in unfamiliar sheets and it was strangely quiet. Usually, I was used to the sound of others walking up and down the stairs. Then I realized where I was when I smelled his cologne. I turned around to Corpse facing me. I was a bit startled, but then I noticed how beautiful he looked asleep. Like the other night on the couch. He looked content, the way his lips curled into a small smile and his eyelashes rested perfectly on his skin. I could've laid there forever, but I needed to go fast.

Poki and Rae were going to be pissed. Beyond pissed. Last night I told them I was visiting an old friend, I'll just say I decided to stay for a sleepover...that's if they'll even give me a chance to explain before yelling at me. I got up from the bed trying to be as quiet as I could, stepping over the white sheets that were hanging off the side. I picked up my clothes, listening to the car sounds echoing through the apartment walls. After I finished getting dressed, I left a note for Corpse for when he wakes up. I told him that my roommate would be freaking out because I didn't come home the night before and I needed to go before she made a scene. Although it was a lie, apart of it was true.

I made my way back into the lobby of the cartel only to find Rae and Poki standing in the middle, Rae looking down at her watch. They saw me walk up and immediately questioned me.
"Where have you been?" Poki asked, raising her voice. "I called you to get back over here yesterday afternoon!"

"My friend is very persistent...she convinced me to stay for a sleep over." I said. "I thought Rae could wait till the morning, after all, I don't have much to report."

Rae scoffed, "I'm your superior. I expect you to
take me seriously at all times." She breathed in and out, as if to help calm herself. "Look, I'm just trying to help."

"I get that, and I thank you." I replied. "But, I'm good at the moment with the target and I should be able to capture him soon."

Poki looked at Rae then at me. "It's been about a month, you need to hurry this up."

Right when I was about to say something, Rae rubbed her temples, clearly agitated. She sighed, "At least I'm back home. Let's go to my office- and Poki? Take a break. You need it."

"Thanks." She smiled, and walked away. I followed Rae to her office. She closed the door behind her, and crossed her arms.

"I know what this looks like." I said before she could lecture me. "I wasn't with him last night, I was with a friend."

"I would just like for you to wear a wire for a day when you see him." She said. "Just for a day. For precautions."

I looked at her in disbelief, "Seriously? You don't trust me?"

"Scarra suggested you wear one every single day. I'm only asking for one day."

"Either way, none of you trust me."

Rae walked to her chair and sat. "It's not that I don't trust you, it's that we just need to be sure."

I rolled my eyes, "When will Sykkuno and Scarra be back?" I was more interested in when Sykkuno would be back, though I did enjoy Rae's company, she was strict with me whereas Sykkuno just felt like a friend I could vent to whenever I felt like it. 

"Soon." She said, handing me the wire. I took it from her hand, even though I didn't want to wear it, it wasn't like she was going to give me the choice. "Look, it's just one day." 

"Yeah, whatever."