Chapter Sixteen: Wires

The next day, Rae and Micheal set up a hit for me and Corpse. The plan was I'd tell Corpse I had a job and they'd listen in on us. I was beyond nervous, so much so I could feel my heart almost jumping out of it's chest. While Rae was helping me put the wire on, I was trying hard to calm my heart down so she wouldn't hear it, but I wouldn't be surprised if she did.

After Rae adjusted the box and wire around my waist, she allowed me to go put on a shirt and clip the mic to my bra. "I'll wait outside your room for you." She said, smiling. As soon as she left my room and I heard the front door to my apartment close, I retreated into my closet. I pulled out my phone to text Corpse and inform him of our new job.

Hey :) I got a hit, wanna join?

As I was adjusting the mic onto my bra, I heard my phone ding.

sure, u can tell me the details when u get here :)

I texted back,

btw, u got my note I left yesterday right? sry i didnt call i was busy all day

I did, and thats ok as long as i get to see u today :)<3

I smiled and deleted the last messages just in case anybody asked about me texting him. I put my shirt on and walked out my apartment to find Rae in the hallway, sitting down waiting for me. "Great! Did you let the target know by the way?"

I nodded, "Yes, I texted him."

She smiled at me. "Wonderful! Let him know you're on your way." We got into the elevator to head down to the main floor. "Also, make sure to turn on your wire as soon as you get there."

"Yeah I know."

"Do you know all the info on your hit?"

"Yes."

The elevator doors opened and we walked out. "Cool, I'll be the one monitoring your feed so don't worry about Micheal. He won't be doing much."

I nodded. In a way, knowing Rae was the one monitoring made me more nervous. She was able to catch up on more than Micheal probably would.

The target was known as Foolish, an apparent cocaine dealer close by Skid Row. We would have to watch the alleyway he was known to frequent by orders of Rae. 

The whole way to Skid Row I didn't say a word to Corpse, even though my mouth was aching to speak. I didn't want to say anything that could give away anything of our personal relationship to Rae. I didn't want to say anything in case he said my name. I loved the way my name sounded when it rolled off his lips, but right now I was hoping he wouldn't say it. 

When we got out of the car, he decided to speak. "Hey, look, if you regret-"

"I don't, don't worry about it." I said, changing the topic fast. 

"You sure?" He questioned, "You've been very quiet today."

"Yeah..." I replied. "Anyway wanna get on the roof of that building? It overlooks the alley which is right...there!" I said, pointing towards the south of us. 

He nodded, grabbing our bags out of the back of the trunk. He had his mask on already, but I could see the worried look behind it. I wanted so bad to tell him why I was being off, but I couldn't. 

We got to the rooftop, quiet the whole way sneaking up the stairs. I checked my phone to see if Micheal or Rae had texted me any instructions and I was right. Micheal texted me letting me know Foolish had scheduled a drug deal in his usual alleyway, the one we were overlooking. "He should be here any moment." I said. 

"How did you get this hit? I didn't even hear about it on the streets or anything-"

"It was a moment of chance, I guess." I shrugged, "I'm getting better at this, you know?"

I sat next to him, both of overlooking the edge of the roof. The night sky looked beautiful and if this was any other day, I would've enjoyed just sitting here in silence with him. But tonight, I was walking on pins and needles. I couldn't be myself, I couldn't tell him exactly how I felt after our night together and I knew he would take this the wrong way. Hell, even I would. I had no excuse to be like this, to be so cold with him. At least not one I could tell him. 

It'd been an hour of sitting in silence and Foolish was still nowhere to be seen, we were getting impatient. "Where is he?" Corpse asked.

"I'm not sure...my source told me he would be here like an hour ago." I frantically texted Micheal, asking for an update but none of my messages were sending. "We're going to have to wait here, I need the money right now, I can't leave." I wasn't sure exactly what was going on, but I knew Rae would be pissed if I got no progress tonight. 

"But why?"

"I just do..." I said. 

He sighed out of frustration, "You've been so weird today, you won't even talk to me and now you're being secretive, what's wrong? Is it something I did?" 

"No, no it's not." I tried my hardest to not look at his face, or the red eye on his mask would burn through me and cause me to crack my cover. Almost like I jinxed it right that second, He said my name. 

"Then tell me, Angelica.

I froze in place, immediately terrified. What once sounded so beautiful, now sounded like a forbidden word. I guess I went pale, because he automatically caught the look on my face. "What? What did I say?" He asked, but I couldn't hear. 

Then I realized this was a set-up. There was no hit, this was a test once again. Like that first night when I met him. This was just an attempt to find the truth, and it was found. 

The sound of my phone brought me back to reality, a text message. I looked down to see the bright text alert that said Rae's name at the top. 

Come back right now. 

Shit.

Shit.

Shit.

Why the fuck did Corpse have to say my name? Why did I have to tell him? Why did I ever tell him anything? Why didn't I shoot him when I had the chance that night when he fell asleep on the couch?

I looked up from my phone to see him still looking at me. I sighed, knowing I was about to make the stupidest decision of my life. But it wasn't like I didn't already fuck up. Might as well fuck up more. 

"Lets go." I said, putting the sniper rifle we'd brought back into the duffle bag quickly. "Can you drive me home? We need to talk..." 

I turned off my phone completely, that way Rae couldn't text me but she'd be able to listen. 

"Um...yeah sure." He said, voice shaking more than mine was.