Chapter Twelve: Quality Time

"You came just at the right time." Corpse said, stopping on the side of the café. I glanced at my phone to check the time, "Well, it's noon, felt like a good time to get boba." He smiled, agreeing with me. 

There was a bit of an awkward silence, as we still didn't quite know each other very well. He broke the ice, "So...we should discuss the plan for tonight. Can we go to your place or something? We need to track Blau." 

I panicked, "I live with a roommate, I'm sorry we can't do it at my apartment...she's off from work today."

I saw him hesitate a bit, but ultimately he offered we could go to his place. He had supplies there we need: a computer, some guns. I told him I had taken the bus here, so I would need a ride. (which was a lie, I actually walked here as it was only a few blocks away from the cartel) He agreed, still anxious about my intentions. 

"Don't worry." I told him, "I won't tell anybody where you live or anything, you can trust me." He didn't say anything, but I didn't mind. I could tell he was anxious and paranoid, I thought it was better if I didn't push it. He connected his phone to the car's bluetooth and I jumped at the sudden loud booming. 

He turned down the volume, "Sorry, sorry." I immediately recognized the song, it was Bullet With Butterfly Wings by The Smashing Pumpkins. I grew up with them, I loved their music. "No, don't apologize!" I turned the volume up louder, hoping he wouldn't mind. "I actually love this song." 

"The world is a vampire." He quietly sang as he turned on the car. 

When we got to his place, he gave me an apartment tour parodying MTV cribs. He was cautious to not have any dirty laundry or glasses out, and checked everywhere for them before I entered a room. I think he was once again being paranoid, because his apartment was fairly clean. He led me into his computer room, and asked if I needed water or anything. I said I didn't and I sat on the small couch in the room while he got on the computer. It was silent, and the only noise I could hear was the clicking of his mouse and keyboard. 

"You know, everyone painted you to be a lone wolf sort of type." I said. "You're not really like that, are you?"

He sighed, "I'm just used to being alone, but I'm really not." 

"How so?" I asked, "You know, I'm always surrounded by people, but I always feel so alone. There's only really one person who I would consider close."

"Your roommate?" He asked. I nodded, thinking of Toast.

Corpse continued, "I am alone, to answer your question. But I have good friends, maybe only a few but I have some...and I like being with them, even if it's just for missions or something." He wrote something down on a sticky note and turned off the computer. "Ok, I think I have a pretty good idea of where Blau will be tonight." 

"You think?" 

"Hey, I don't really know how to do this stuff, I'm guessing 90% of the time." He handed me the sticky note. "Hold this, or I'm going to forget."

I looked the sticky note, it said:

Blau at strip club tonite leave at 11pm 

Walmart run 4 raisin bread

"We have like 11 hours to kill, what're we going to do?" I asked. 

"You into video games?" He sat down in the small living room and pulled out two ps4 controllers. 

"Yes!" I ran over like an excited kid. He handed me a controller, "Ok, I got Mario Kart Party, Silent Hill..."

"Mario." I said. "I'm going to beat your ass."