Chapter Eight: Return

It turns out last night was a test, at least that was what Scarra told me. I wondered if it was true or if him, Rae and Sykkuno had just forgotten about those important details. When they asked me about Corpse, I didn't say I had met him, I'm not entirely sure why. I'd told them Tommy was still alive, that I'd kept an eye on him the whole night and that I needed to go again in order to protect him and also to meet Corpse "for the first time." Nevertheless, they had faith in me and had allowed me to go again tonight.

As I walked back up the stairs to get to the top of the building I was at the night before, I kept reminding myself I needed to actually try and catch Corpse if I could...or at least not get distracted again, but that thought immediately left my mind when I opened the door to the rooftop.

There was Corpse, looking out to the night in a suit and of course, his frank mask. He looked so good, and I genuinely thought about just standing there and admiring him, but I knew I had to say something.

"Oh, hey." I walked up to him and he turned his head. The part of his face that wasn't covered with his mask was facing me, and I could finally see his features better as it wasn't as dark as last night. He had a glowing red eye and his dark wavy hair fell over his eyebrow so perfectly, he almost looked like a painting. Not to mention, his skin was clearly smooth. The suit perfectly sculpted his body, yet in a sincere way in which I could tell he had bought it a size up in order to hide his godly features, but had failed to do so as the suit's wrinkles had clung on to his skin. I smiled, there was something charming about the wrinkled suit. Maybe he was in such a rush, he couldn't iron it or perhaps, he didn't care much to do so.

I snapped back to reality when I realized he had been speaking to me. "Sorry, what did you say?"

He rolled his eyes, smiling. Letting me know he wasn't actually annoyed. I couldn't lie, Corpse had a lot of patience.

He cleared his throat, "I was saying I only came up here because I knew you'd be waiting for me."

 "Wait- waiting for you? Why would I-"

"But, I was going to go into the gala to find Tommy...but I couldn't leave you hanging." He interrupted me. "I can't risk losing my client again so tonight, I'm ensuring the job gets done."

"I'll come with you!" I said, almost too eagerly. "I won't take your hit though...I promise. I can lose out on a couple thousand."

"Then why would you come with?" He asked.

"I wanna be friends." I said. "Look, I don't have too many friends in this business and I don't have many outside of it either! And last night, last night was actually nice just sitting here with you."

He seemed skeptical, probably thinking I was lying about not wanting to take his hit. Although this was supposed to be my mission, I was being honest with him. I mean yes, I did need to go with him inside to protect Tommy, but also just because I didn't mind being around him.

He was about to say no, but I stuck out my pinkie. "I pinky promise I won't kill Tommy."

He laughed a bit and our pinkies intertwined. His finger was so warm, yet so much bigger than mine. I couldn't even see my own finger when he wrapped his around mine. He might be a killer, but I was too and it didn't make us cold-blooded, our fingers were still warm.

"Okay, Reaper, let's go then." He fixed his tie and motioned at the edge of the building. "How far can you jump?"

"Far." I paused then looked at him. "I don't have a ticket either, the guy at the door ripped it up last night."

He laughed once again, "Then we have to improvise."

After we made it on the balcony, we entered the charity gala and immediately were faced with crowds, upon crowds of people. None of them noticed us despite how strange we looked. Me, who obviously didn't fit in with all the rich, fancy, old people and Corpse with his mask and wrinkled suit.

He started scanning the room, trying to see if he could spot Tommy in the crowd. I started looking too, hopefully I could find him before Corpse did and somehow distract him. 

"I think we'll get a better view from the dance floor." I told Corpse, grabbing his hand and dragging him through everyone. 

We made it on the dance floor and I pulled his body toward mine, ready to waltz. He looked a bit surprised, but even in his state of shock, he was a good dancer. 

"Is this just an excuse to dance with me?" He smirked. 

I stepped on his toe, "I would never!"

He winced and began to try and step on my feet. I kept dodging, and soon we weren't even dancing anymore, we were just playing footsies in the middle of the dance floor. 

Then, we both heard it- Tubbo screaming Tommy's name. We both turned towards that direction to find Tubbo chasing him around the ballroom, bumping into all the guests carelessly. 

I then looked at Corpse, who was already preparing to follow them. He let go of my hand and started toward their direction, focused on what he needed to do. I was disappointed we couldn't continue our little game, but I had to go after him to try to protect Tommy.

author's note 🤍

hiii I hope everyone is enjoying my interpretation of corpse so far :D I didn't wanna write him as a super macho guy LMAOO cause he's not...hes actually so soft and I hope I captured that correctly so far :) 

im excited for the new rust server tonite, I hope corpse streams <3

 j10 forever