Chapter Thirteen: Uber Eats

The next afternoon, I made my way back to Corpse's apartment. I still felt guilty and I wasn't particularly excited to see him again, but I had to get that money that Charlie granted us for the kill on Blau. I knew the money was ready, because Micheal had informed me that Corpse had put the 6k back into his bank account.

I had spoken to my new temporary boss, Poki, this morning when she had knocked on my dorm door. She had told me that like Rae, she'd check in on my mission and make sure I'm on track. She seemed sweet, and I didn't mind having her around as a temporary fill-in while Rae and Sykkuno were gone. 

Anyway, 

back to what I was saying. 

I was at Corpse's apartment, but the bad thing about not having his phone number and only leaving sticky notes for each other was that I wasn't aware Corpse had actually left. So, here I sat, outside his apartment door waiting for him. I didn't want to just get up and leave, because well...I don't know. I wanted to wait here. About 20 minutes later, I saw Corpse coming up the apartment complex stairs. Instantly, my feelings of not wanting to see him disappeared and I was excited for him to walk up. As I looked in his direction, I noticed he was only wearing a face mask and I could see both of his eyes finally and the bridge of his nose. At the sight of me at his doorstep, he jumped back in shock. I waved hello and got up to greet him.

"Hey Corpse!" I said. He was still in shock, eyes wide. "I came back to pick up the check from Charlie or whatever, and you weren't here so I just decided to wait for you..." My voice faded slowly, realizing he probably wanted me to leave as quick as possible. We stood there in the hallway for a second before I said, "Okay, well, I should get going now. I can always pick it up another day...or whenever I see you again."

Just as I was walking away, he grabbed my hand gently and told me to stay. He pulled out his house keys and let me in, but he still kept his face mask on. "Um, do you want water or anything?" He offered, awkwardly. He did this last time I was here too. 

"No, I'm fine." I smiled. 

"Sorry, I don't want to be awkward or anything, I just wasn't expecting to see you." He said. 

"Yeah...sorry." I said. 

"It's fine." He pushed back a loose strand of hair that was dangling in front of his forehead. "I can safely say you're the only person who's seen me without that stupid mask." 

"Really? Well, I'm honored."

He grabbed a letter out of one of his kitchen cabinets and set it on the counter, it was open slightly. "Here's the money for last night, by the way." I looked inside, and 15k was inside it. "I know you said I could get half, but I'd prefer it if you take most considering you did all the work. I just took a bit." 

"Corpse...seriously I don't need all this money either." I tried handing him back half of the stack but he refused. "Whatever." 

"Well, I just came by for this." I said. "I'll get out of your hair now, see you around?"

"Hold on." He pulled his phone out of his pocket. "We're friends now, right?"

"Yeah, unless you don't wanna be my friend." 

He rolled his eyes. "Can I have your number? So you don't have to wait at my doorstep wondering when I'm going to come back again."

"Sure." We exchanged numbers and when I was about to leave, once again he asked for me to stay. Corpse explained he had nothing to do and he didn't mind the company. By this time, it was already like 5 and I was pretty hungry. So we ordered mcdonalds. It was pretty funny, actually. He said people always steal his food, so he had to be quick to get it before anyone could steal it. 

We sat in front of the food. I could see the look on his face, he had forgotten in order to eat, he had to take off his face mask in front of me...which means I'd see his full face. 

"I can look away if you want..." I offered. "I know you probably want to remain anonymous."

He let out a small breath, "I trust you." He took off his face mask, and yeah yeah I'd already seen half of his face and his mouth when he lifted his mask to eat before when I first met him but still. Seeing his face for the first time fully and out of the darkness, this man was so beautiful. I tried not to stare, but I was sure my eyes were giving me away. It was so hard not to find him attractive, and believe me, I tried and tried considering I was supposed to eventually either kill him or betray him. But I gave in, I had to admit that holy hell, he was beyond attractive

I smiled, and he did too. It was like a mutual confirmation of trust and acceptance. I don't know if he's ever gotten that before, but I was happy to be the one to let him know I accept him for who he is. 

"My name is Angelica." I blurted out. He lowered the TV volume and looked at me, confused. "Well, you showed me your face...so it felt right." I didn't lie, it did feel right, but I knew deep down it was a huge mistake. A huge, huge mistake. 

"Hi Angelica." He waved. I laughed, I was literally a cushion away from him. 

"Hi Corpse." 

He turned off the TV, "Angelica is prettier than Reaper." 

I blushed a bit, I always hated my name and preferred Reaper instead because it sounded bad-ass and mysterious, but when he said Angelica, it sounded so pretty. Like if it was meant to be spoken by him. It kind of felt like a call me by your name moment...but minus the pedophilia. 

I spent the rest of the evening at his apartment just playing video games and talking about anything and everything. I learned a lot about him. He was an open-book deep down, he was just cautious at first. 

By the time I got back to the cartel, it was already around midnight. I scurried up to my room before anybody could run into me and fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. 

authors note:

hi! hope u enjoyed this chapter as much as I enjoyed corpse on Karl's stream yesterday :D #cropsapologist

pls vote, it helps a lot!!