Break 🍊

Iwazumi eyes the wisps of breath swirling into the winter air, cupping his hands over his mouth in an attempt to trap some of the escaping heat between his fingers.

"AHHH it's freezing!!" A familiar voice pipes up from behind him, the sound of the gymnasium door rattling shut as the setter approached him, stomping his feet.

"You got everything?" Iwazumi rubs his gloved hands together and shoves them into his pockets, not that it helped his almost frost bitten fingers.

"Everything!" Oikawa winked, cheeks already beginning to blush pink from the cold.

Iwaizumi breaks into a brisk stride, staying still any longer would have him frozen stiff. Oikawa doesn't protest, instead quickly trails behind, hunched in attempt to utilise the ace's silhouette as a shield from the biting wind, hugging himself with little luck against the cold.

It's one of those evenings where the pair had lingered behind to do some free practice. Wordless yet passionate serves and receives, until the fading light catches them and tells them it's time to head home.

The night blankets the neighbourhood as the two battle the cold and the street lights flicker on, one by one, along with the shimmering stars.

"Iwa-chan!"

A tug at his coat prompts Iwaizumi to look back, the lower half of the setter’s face obscured by a tartan grey scarf. He can see the smile in the boy's eyes, a glistening sort of shine.

"Let's go to a cafe!"

Iwaizumi's initial reaction is to snort, before drawing his lips into a frown and he turns to face the setter, "we have practice tomorrow morning."

"But it's Friday! Tomorrow's the weekend! You won't be popular with the girls if you don't learn to loosen up a bit Iwa-chan!"

The playfulness in Okinawa’s voice tinkles and escapes into the night to which Iwaizumi lets out a reserved sigh. The setter's eyes suddenly shining brighter than the streetlight just moments away.

"Let's go Iwa-chan! Hurry up!"

A head start for Oikawa as he makes a quick turn down the next street, beckoning the ace from a distance, "I know a good place!".

Iwaizumi follows, pulling his scarf over his face to hide the smile tugging at his lips.

The cafe is alive with the buzz of lively chatter, clinking of cups and a soft piano melody from somewhere beyond. A little bell tinkles in welcome as the door swings open and the cold air rushes in along with two high school boys, scarves pulled up high over their noses to hide from the winter chill.

"Welcome! Seats for two?" An attentive waitress approaches them, a warm smile to greet the boys as they fumble to take their jackets off, scarves in hand.

"Thank you!" Oikawa sings and the waitress' smile seems to glow a little brighter upon seeing such a handsome youth.

The boys are seated in a small corner, next to a crackling, homey fireplace, the flames reaching out and licking the air every so often which distracted Iwaizumi as his partner ordered for them both.