The Art of the Bond 🍞

"Really, you're an omega? You don't look like one!"

Iwaizumi hated when people said that to him. Yeah, he was muscular, tan, with a stern glance but that shouldn't mean everyone should assume he was an alpha. He hated the stereotype that omegas were cute, soft, feminine.

Iwaizumi didn't dislike his secondary gender necessarily, he just hated how people reacted to it.

Honestly, why did him, or anyone for that matter, being an omega make him any less of a human being? Sure, he had periodic heats that made him a sweaty hot mess and had the ability to give birth but that shouldn't make him any less of a person.

The only person who had accepted Iwaizumi's secondary gender without a second thought as soon as he presented was Oikawa. His childhood friend had presented as an alpha near the end of their last year in middle school. It was common for alphas to present earlier than omegas. Iwaizumi's secondary gender came forth during their first year of high school:

"It was fate that Iwa-chan was chosen as an omega and I an alpha. Now we can truly start a family! I hope our children have my cute looks though."

"Shut up Shittykawa, who would want that with you? And we're way too young. We just started high school."

"Mean! I just declared my dream to you and you go and reject it."

Now they were both in their final year of high school, playing on the same team for the last time before they went to their respected universities. However, they ended up having their time cut short by losing to Karasuno. But, losses weren't something that stopped either of them. They took their day of self pitying before getting back on their feet, determined to keep pushing, winning , even if it had to be on different teams. It was a few days after the two witnessed the match between Shiratorizawa and Karasuno, that Oikawa asked the most life determining question Iwaizumi had ever heard.

"Iwa chan...I know we're going to separate universities...but when your next heat arrives after graduation, can we bond?"

Iwaizumi couldn't find it in him to say no. Logically, it was too soon and super inconvenient timing. They would be apart from each other for the next few years, figuring out their own career paths. Bonding would make this separation even harder, and it was already difficult since the last time they spent apart from each other for months on end was before they even met. But, they both knew they were fated to be together. Iwaizumi knew that Oikawa was his true alpha, and his instincts swelled in pride in knowing that Oikawa chose him as his mate. So, Iwaizumi responded with Oikawa's question with his own question.

"Wouldn't bonding make the separation harder to endure?"

"Maybe, but I feel like we could get through it. It's not like I won't ever see you for those years. We'll even be playing against each other. Besides..." Oikawa trailed off, his brown eyes breaking contact with Iwaizumi's green as they glanced nervously to the left.
"I don't want anyone else to court you. I want them to know you already belong to someone."

The brunette had spoken the last part softly, but still loud and clear enough for Iwaizumi to hear. A slight blush covered his cheeks, his instincts rejoicing in the hidden tone of protection in the other's words.

"Very well..." mumbled Iwaizumi, the blush darkening as he watch the alpha in front of him beam with joy and excitement.

"Iwa-chan! I love you!" exclaimed Oikawa before leaning forward to press his soft lips to Iwaizumi's slightly chapped ones.