To Hell and Back 🍞

Two worn red High Tops, the once white tips now scuffed with mud and grass stains. His left foot rose as his right came down, heel then ball, sank into the asphalt with measured pressure, pressed back up into the air, repeat.

He watched as the shoelace on his left shoe slowly became undone with each swing of his leg. The plastic little bit of the lace came off a long time ago and the ends were frayed, pressed flat, and grayed with dirt. His bows were clumsy and loose, they never stayed tied for too long.

He paused. Ants. Black dots on cement. A long winding row of them carrying bits and pieces of a half-eaten sandwich dropped on the ground. He stepped over them. He walked, making sure to avoid all the cracks because he loved his mother, even though she fussed over him entirely too much, and he reckoned that he really did not want to be responsible for breaking her back.

Thud. Iwaizumi finally snapped his eyes upwards to find wide blown honey brown eyes staring down at him. A boy. He was probably around his age, he thought as he rubbed his nose. White polo, teal shorts, an alien Band-Aid on his boney knee, a dripping strawberry popsicle in his hand. Iwaizumi was about to grunt an apology when the other boy gasped.

"Hey, you're the new kid from my homeroom class."

Iwaizumi frowned, he didn't recognize him.

"I guess you don't know who I am? I'm Oikawa Tooru," he grinned a toothless smile.

"Iwaizumi Hajime."

"My mom just bought me ET on DVD. Do you wanna come over at watch it?" He sounded hopeful as he rocked back and forth on his feet.

He really wasn't interested in aliens. He found them downright creepy. But his mom was really nagging him about making a new friend. And Oikawa looked nice enough so he agreed with a hesitant okay.

"My house is this way," Oikawa snaked his free hand around Iwaizumi's wrist and he began to drag him along the road.

"Iwa-chan, why do you always look at the ground when you walk? What's so fascinating about what's happening down there?"

Iwaizumi's cheeks start to heat up. His mother was the only other person in the world who ever called him that and Oikawa managed to sound just like her when he said that. She constantly chided him for keeping his head down. She'd say, "honestly Iwa-chan, you're going to bump into something someday," in her high lilting voice.

"Shut up, Poopykawa," Iwaizumi huffed.

Perhaps it was fate that they met. Oikawa walked with his head tilted upwards at the sky, never looking at what was right in front of him. Oikawa's mother would always yell, "get your head out of the clouds!"

They became friends, best of friends so quickly and effortlessly it took everyone, especially Iwaizumi by surprise. He never was one to open up to others easily, and the kids were put off by his coarseness. Oikawa took him all in with a smile and open arms, filled in his silences with easy conversation about everything and anything. He wormed his way into Iwaizumi's life, stuck to his side like a burr. He got underneath Iwaizumi's skin constantly, he was annoying, Oikawa made him so angry he wanted to scream. But he could not untangle himself from Oikawa. He really didn't want to.

Iwaizumi remembered looking at Oikawa who was walking in front of him. The sleeves of his shirt hung off his shoulders and covered half of his hands which he waved back and forth as he tried to convince Iwaizumi to become an astronaut with him.