59

~ phoenix ~

Viktoria seemed to sense the gloomy atmosphere because moments later, her loud shrieks pierced the silence.

Muttering under her breath, Lavinia rose to her feet and picked up the screaming child. She turned away from me as she unbuttoned her shirt. A few seconds later, Viktoria was silent again.

"Sorry-"

"No," I quickly interrupted, "you don't need to apologise, Lavinia. Thank you for telling me."

"Thank you for listening, Phoenix," she murmured thoughtfully.

In an attempt to steer the conversation away from the subject, I asked, "How old is she?"

"5 weeks," was the reply.

I winced. The pain of losing Viktor must still be fresh.

Suddenly, there was a loud crash.

Lavinia groaned exasperatedly, "Mikhail."

"It's fine," I said quickly, "I'll go find him."

She glanced at me gratefully over her shoulder and I smiled.

As I walked down the corridor, I called for the little boy. I found him moments later looking guiltily up at me with a jar of jam spilt over the front of his shirt.

"сожалею," he mumbled, looking down. [sorry]

Although I didn't understand exactly what he said, I figured it was a sorrowful apology,

Rushing forwards with a reassuring grin, I said, "It's okay, sweetie! Let's get you cleaned up, okay?"

Mikhail nodded hopefully.

The shattered glass at his feet was my main concern. I carefully lifted him over the mess and onto the kitchen counter.

"I hear Mama cry," he explained sadly, "so I make jam cookies."

I couldn't stop the pout from forming on my lips. What a sweetheart!

"You're a good boy, Mikhail," I told him firmly.

After picking up the glass, I used a dish towel to wipe the jam off the floor.

"Oh Phoenix," Lavinia cried, suddenly behind me, "please don't."

Finishing, I stood and smiled. "He's such a sweet boy Lavinia. Don't be mad at him."

"I know," she sighed before kneeling in front of her son, "Mikhail, were you trying to make me jammies?"

He nodded, eyes wide and guilty.

Unexpectedly, she grinned. "You're Mama's boy, aren't you?"

With a hesitant smile, he leapt at his mother. "Don't cry, Mama," he said, stroking her hair.

My eyes watered at the adorable sight.

She stood, carrying him. "Please sit, Phoenix. And thank you for cleaning that up."

Obediently, I sat on a stool.

"Shower time, Mikhail," Lavinia said, brightly.

After a few steps, she stopped short and put him down.

I jumped back to my feet. "Let me take him, Lavinia."

"Of course not-"

There was a knock at the door.

Striding over, I opened it and grinned at Ilya. He stooped to place a kiss on my head.

"See, you talk to Ilya and I'll get Mikhail cleaned up," I said to her triumphantly.