44

WARNING: slightly steamy ahead!

~ phoenix ~

"Phoenix."

I swatted at the hand shaking my shoulder. When the nuisance retreated, I snuggled deeper into my comfortable - slightly hard - pillow.

I heard a sigh but clenched my eyes tighter, unwilling to interrupt my dream. Now, where was I?

"Phoenix!"

With an aggravated growl, I opened one eye. Immediately, the light stabbed it, forcing it shut again. I felt around for the duvet, pulling it on top of my head. Slowly, I tried again but finding no immanent danger, I returned to the irresistible heat around me.

"If you don't want the job...."

My eyes snapped open.

I craned my neck to glare at the pillow that dared rouse me from my slumber. Ilya raised a single bushy brow.

My eyes then trailed down his shirtless torso, to the dark swirls of ink that snaked around his waist to his back. Huh. How had I only noticed that now?

"Phoenix."

"What?" I demanded, mimicking his impatient tone.

"You're going to be late," he stated, gesturing to the clock. Was that a small smirk playing on his lips?

"I'm allowed to be," I fired back, shoving my face into an actual pillow, "it's my first day."

A low chuckle vibrated across the chest I was sprawled on. "It doesn't work like that, baby."

Slowly, I raised my head again to stare at him in shock. Baby?

Ilya paid no heed to my surprise but ungracefully shoved me off of his body. I fell back onto the mattress with an oomph.

The rude bastard then proceeded to pick me up and throw me over his shoulder. My eyes widened in panic when I saw we were headed for the en-suite.

"Ilya! Let me down, now!"

To my misfortune, he did exactly that and I landed on the floor with a painful thud.

"Ouch!" I complained, whilst shooting daggers at him.

"What?" he replied with an innocent shrug, "you asked me to."

I was sure my glare couldn't get any hotter. Muttering curses under my breath, I walked ahead of him into the bathroom but before he could follow in, I slammed the door shut in his face. Take that!

After a quick, warm shower, I returned to the room with a towel wrapped securely around my body. I narrowed my eyes at Ilya, whose seemed to shamelessly check me out. He had better not get any ideas.

Cautiously sidestepping the giant, I made my way to the closet.

And no, I wasn't surprised when I didn't reach it. Instead, I was whirled into his arms.

"Good morning, my little troublemaker," he murmured, leaning down fractionally.

Despite the flutter in my chest, I raised my chin haughtily. "I wouldn't say it was a particularly good morning."

"And why is that?" he asked, brushing a stubbly cheek against mine.

"I don't know. Maybe because it was ruined by a certain irritating giant?" I replied, innocently.

"Hmmm," he mused, "let me fix that."

Gaze flickering to my lips, he began to move closer.

So did I, until I pulled away with a mischievous grin. "Uh, uh, uh," I chided, "I'm going to be late."