33

~ phoenix ~

Following Katarina, I walked into what looked like a club. Except we were on a stage.

Immediately, loud foreign music filled my ears and a strobe light flashed beams of colour in my eyes. On the stage were two silver poles and a long platform leading to the centre of the room.

I sped forward to catch the devil by her arm. "What are we doing here?" I hissed.

Rina seemed like she expected my reaction. "All you have to do is walk down the ramp and back. Like a runway," she instructed.

Wait, what? I didn't sign up for a catwalk.

She read the adamance off my face and smiled. Suddenly, I caught a glimpse of the exhaustion on her flawless features. "This is your chance, Phoenix. They'll want you - you're hot - but they can't have you. This," she said, gesturing around us, "is the only power we have over them."

No matter how hard it was to accept, her words hit home. I was truly and utterly powerless here. And if this was the only way...

"Fine," I agreed passionately, "let's show them who's boss."

Rina grinned at me excitedly. "Да!"

By now, I knew simple Russian words. Da meant 'yes'.

"Da," I repeated.

Then, together, we strode into the light.

Before us, there was a bar, some sofas, tables and chairs. The audience consisted mainly of men, who drank their rums leisurely, but milling around them were their escorts. As their eyes fell upon me, I jut my chin high in the sky and strut forwards. I heard approving jeers erupting from the crowd but I refused to make eye contact with any of them. I have the power.

When I turned back and their view was on my ass, I added a little strut to my walk with a smirk. I felt the burn of a dozen eyes, piercing into me. Take a photo, I wanted to yell, adrenaline rushing through my veins, it'll last longer.

After we were safely hidden from view, I jumped into Rina's arms.

"That. Was. Amazing!" I squealed, happily.

"Yeah?" she grinned. "Well, let's leave it at that for now. I have an idea for next time."

My eyes widened. "Next time?" I couldn't hide the anticipation from my voice.

"Well duh," she laughed. "In fact, let's start now."

"What?"

But she was already dragging me out of the club and into an adjacent room. It was full of clothing racks and vanities.

"This is the changing room, but this is where we practise too," Rina explained, gesturing around.

"Practise?" I asked

"Yeah, look."

Following her eyes, I found a glinting pole at a corner of the room.

"You're a pole dancer?"

Katarina looked proud. "And I give private dances. I want to teach you."

Surprisingly, I wasn't opposed to the idea. Mom would probably kill me, but I didn't care. I wouldn't care.

"Sure," I accepted, hesitantly.

She smiled, warmly. I was taken aback by it. Katarina was never warm, but I guess now I was truly part of her life.

She walked confidently to the pole and began to dance.

"This is a small pirouette," she said, demonstrating a move. One hand was holding the pole and the other stuck out and she spun around the pole.

I looked in awe. If that was just a small one....

"And this," she said in a strained voice as she shifted up the pole, "is an aerial invert." She held the it with both hands, body upside down but her legs stuck out in the air in a 'V' shape.

At that, my jaw fell open.

With that, she performed a whole other set of moves, not bothering to name them. Then, she finished with what she called a 'fireman's pole', sliding down the pole and landing gracefully on her feet.

I was sure my jaw was no longer attached to my body.

She laughed at my expression as she dusted her hands off. "Now you try."

"You're joking," I deadpanned.

Rina raised a brow. "Nope, absolutely serious."

I took a step back, prepared to run before she forced me to break a bone.

As if reading my thoughts, she jumped forwards and grabbed my wrist. "Oh no, you don't."

Cautiously, I approached the daunting pole. Um, what did she say I had to do again?

"Put both hands on it," she instructed, encouragingly, "and try to lift your body from the ground. Make an upside down 'V'."

Following her instructions, I lifted myself onto the pole and spread my legs apart.

Immediately, Rina broke out into applause. "Now try and flip yourself upside down."

Bravely, I swung my legs upwards and let my head fall back until I was eye level with her knees.

"Yes, Birdie!" she squealed.

I smiled, triumphantly. I guess that wasn't too hard-

"Now, twist your body to the right, let go with one hand and spin."

Um, what?

𝑥𝑜
𝖗𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖛𝖎