28

~ phoenix ~

"No, no, no," I continued to mutter furiously.

My head spun and my eyes burned. But I was forcing the image out of my mind.

"Phoenix!" I heard him call behind me. The distinct, rough accent of his voice was familiar. It dragged me back into reality.

I turned slowly, both hands still clasping the cold gun in front of me. I couldn't let go.

I couldn't let go.

Ilya was already walking towards me, but his eyes were intent on the unforgiving metal in my grasp. He didn't look at me. He only saw the gun. And the crimson staining my fingers.

I wondered, with anguish, if he thought I would raise it at him too.

A sob wrenched itself out of my throat as I collapsed to my knees. My body felt like ice in the thin silk pyjamas and the heavy black vest on my torso.

A mammoth of a shadow appeared over me and soon, the gun was eased out of my hands. I was almost grateful for Ilya's touch but as soon as it came, it disappeared.

Beneath my watery lashes, I saw his eyes assess the scene behind me. Then, they flickered cautiously back to me. I held his gaze. It wasn't me, I wanted to scream at him. I didn't...

Slowly, he crouched before me. He still wasn't touching me, holding me. I craved it. I needed to know he didn't think...

"Phoenix," he uttered, quietly.

I heard him. The gunfire and shouts outside had ceased. But it was still ringing in my ears.

"Phoenix," I heard him call again.

I wasn't looking at him anymore, but over his shoulder. The images were forcing themselves into my mind again, pressing on the sides of my consciousness.

I stared at the door behind him. We were there only moments ago. We were right there. And then- then-

I stared at Gianna, dumbfounded when she spoke his name.

He'd come.

"Phee," she warned, snapping me out of my daze, "no."

I knew what she meant but I had to. I needed to apologise before the guilt consumed me. Maybe I could save this- save us, fix the problems that started because of me. There was no point in running. I was born to be his. Otherwise... we'd all die.

"Gia," I whispered, helplessly, "I need to..."

She looked panicked, looking frantically around like something could jump out at us any second. "Phoenix, please. Not here, not now!" she hissed.

My breath caught when I saw a glimpse of him. Ilya was fighting two men. There was blood smeared on his pale cheek. My heart raced. Was that his? Was it my fault? Would he retaliate against my family?

I took a step forward. I just needed to say sorry. He didn't need to be a monster...

A warm hand wrapped around my wrist.

It was Tabitha.

"Come," she pleaded, "and then when all this is over, you can go to him. Let's just get somewhere safe first, okay?"

"We're running out of time," Gia urged, her fists white around the glinting handgun.

I forced my mind to process their words, ripping my gaze away from him. Eventually, I nodded. "Yeah," I agreed, realising the danger surrounding us.