41

~ phoenix ~

"But I will be accompanying you," Ilya finished.

I froze, contemplating his offer. Was that it? What was the catch?

"O-okay," I stuttered, snapping out of my surprise.

He seemed pleased with my response.

Then it actually hit me. "Wait, really? We can go shopping?" I demanded, seriously.

"Да," he confirmed before teasing, "You don't want to go anymore?"

I was almost giddy with excitement. "Are you crazy? Of course I want to go!" I squealed. "And Rina can come as well?"

"Well... fine."

An uncontrollable grin split my face. "Thank you!"

Grabbing his cheeks in between my hands, I peppered small, grateful kisses over them. I noticed him lean forwards expectantly but I had already propelled myself out of his grip, racing towards the door. I needed to get ready for my first visit into civilisation after what felt like forever.

As I was just crossing the threshold of his door, I heard my name.

"Phoenix?" Ilya demanded. "What are you forgetting?"

I stopped in my tracks, spinning around to face him again. Baffled, I looked around for anything I would possibly forget. I can here empty handed, didn't I? Eventually, my eyes fell upon his stern, slightly bruised expression. Wait, he couldn't mean...?

Scowling, I impatiently rushed over to him and placed a big, sloppy kiss on his lips. He made a noise of satisfaction. A grin replaced my restless frown. How could such a dangerous man be so adorable?

This time, he didn't interrupt me as I left. I could've sworn I heard a low chuckle but who could it have been? Certainly not my Ilya.

I raced down the stairs to the basement to tell Rina the good news.

So, when she announced she couldn't come, I was more than hurt.

"B-but-"

"I have an appointment in an hour with a client, Phoenix. Damn it! But how did you manage to get him to agree in the first place?"

I turned a humiliating shade of beet red. Thought I couldn't exactly answer her question, I certainly had done some convincing on my part. "Um, I asked?"

She stared at me before realisation dawned. "You did not! You naughty little bird! I didn't know you had it in you!"

Katarina, who I'd informed on the growing infatuation between myself and her mob boss, had been doubled over in shock. According to her, Ilya had been immune to the touch of women for as long as she could remember. At that, I had to admit I felt a little gratified.

"Well, you're not coming so it doesn't matter!" I grumbled.

"I know, Birdie, I'm devastated!" she scowled, miserably.

Before I could further complain about her absence, she shooed me off and told me I had a date to prepare for. She didn't listen to any of my embarrassed protests but firmly slammed the door in my face.

Was this a date if it was just us two? No... it was just a friendly outing!

With a scowl at Rina's infuriating antics, I rushed up to Ilya's room to get dressed. I had to be quick before he changed his mind. As a result, I spent only twenty minutes picking an outfit.

That was a record for me. In the end, I had thrown on some tights, a cute skirt and a chunky cardigan. God, I hadn't worn female clothes in weeks! Satisfied with my rapid work, I swiped one some mascara and lipgloss.