38

~ phoenix ~

Aleksey returned alone. I didn't dare ask where Mila went, let alone speak after seeing the murderous glint in his eyes.

After a minute, Ilya was moving sluggishly towards his room with one arm slung over the Hulk's shoulder, grumbling in Russian as he did so. He was helped onto his bed, and in seconds he was passed out again.

Before he left, Aleksey pulled me aside and whispered intensely, "He'll be like this for a few more hours and then he'll be fine. Help him with whatever he needs until then, okay?"

I nodded, cautiously. Before he turned away, I asked, "Why?"

"Our liquor," he answered dismissively, though there was a catch in his voice, "It's strong."

I eyed his back suspiciously as he walked away.

Huh. He just lied to me.

Spitting curses at the damn bastard, I switched off the lights and made my way through the dark onto the bed. The babysitting could wait; right now, I could've fallen asleep on my feet.

I slid under the sheets making sure Ilya was tucked in too. After all, he wasn't invincible - certainly not to Russia's unforgiving climate. I was just closing my eyes when I felt a hand on my ass.

I shot up, staring at the unconscious man in outrage. Even in his sleep? Incredulously, I built a fortress of pillows between us. I didn't need anymore touching tonight, especially from Ilya, not after...

Absentmindedly, my finger rose to graze my lips. Snapping out of the memory, I threw myself back on the bed with a sigh. Finally, I could sleep. Who knew so much could happen in one day?

Minutes later, I was woken by a strong arm dragging me across the mattress until I was pressed against a rock hard chest.

"Ilya!" I hissed, struggling in his vice-like grip, but to no avail.

My pillow fort was in shambles, some even on the floor. Surely, he was not sleeping still... With an exasperated huff, I flopped against him in defeat. I could continue my anger in the morning.

"Fuck!"

I furrowed my brows, groaning as I registered the bright light attacking my closed lids. Was it morning already?

Arguably, last night was not the worst night's sleep but it was certainly not the best. The annoying bastard kept mumbling unconsciously and even now, I heard his voice.

This time, however, it sounded enraged.

I opened one eye reluctantly to inspect my surroundings. In my peripheral vision, I saw Ilya's back towards me.

Suddenly, I remembered Aleksey's request- no, demand. Help him.

Oh for goodness' sake, I was too nice for my own good. I expressed my disgruntlement with a loud moan before finally, lifting myself up. Smoothing my hair, I rounded the bed until I was crouching in front of him.

Ilya seemed to have not noticed my presence. His features were contorted in anguish.

With unease, I gently touched his brow. He flinched.

I looked at the large analogue clock above the bed. It wasn't even six yet! No wonder I was so exhausted.

I dragged my eyes back to the man in front of me. I knew how insufferable a hangover was. I frowned with sympathy.

"Does it hurt?" I murmured, rubbing a thumb across his clenched fist.

I wasn't surprise to be greeted with silence.

I stifled a sigh as I shuffled through the draws of the bedside table. I blanched at the sight of a silver gun but should I be surprised? Eventually, I found what I hoped would be in there. Some pills. It didn't look like Aspirin but that was what I remember him giving me when I caught a cold on the second day here. I mean, it wouldn't kill him...

I eyed him thoughtfully. What a giant - two pills would suffice. I also poured him a glass of water, before pressing the medicine into his palms.

Ilya opened his bloodshot eyes and I almost gasped. Damn, it was that bad?!

He scrutinised the pills before obediently swallowing them. I fought the urge to roll my eyes - I wasn't going to kill him, at least not in this state. Then, I raised the glass to his lips. His eyes met mine as he drank.

I gulped at their intensity.

After he pulled away, I crossed the room and climbed onto my side of the bed. Then, hesitantly, I pulled Ilya back towards me. With his head in my lap, I began to smooth back his hair.

I remember my mom comforting me like this when I had the really bad periods. Sometimes, ice cream was just not enough. Sometimes, you needed someone to help you through it.

I heard a rumble deep in his chest but I couldn't quite figure out whether it was to express pain or pleasure. Nonetheless, I continued to play with his black locks until I heard his breaths even. They were a bit damp. I felt a stab of guilt, remembering how I almost drowned him with water in Mila's room. Oops.

Somewhere between mumbling sweet nothings to him and resisting the heat crawling to my stomach, I closed my eyes too.

𝑥𝑜
𝖗𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖛𝖎