34

~ phoenix ~

Another week had passed.

There was still no sign of Ilya at the Mansion and though I was mostly relieved, there was a resounding disappointment which wouldn't go away.

Katarina had only mentioned yesterday that she heard he went abroad for business a few days ago, though she didn't know any of the details.

That made me angry - no, furious. Was I that insignificant?

Apart from the ache in my chest, however, things were going well.

I sneaked passed my guard - Vik, I found out his name was - every afternoon and went to practise my new hobby of pole dancing in the dressing room. I was proud to say I could officially master the Allegra, Anastasia and the Ayesha - all thanks to my great coach. Every now and then, one of the other girls would jump in and teach me one of their signature moves. Contrary to Rina's gossip, they all seemed friendly and willing to help. I was no longer an outsider.

Then, in the evenings, occasionally, we would visit the club and strut one lap around the ramp before returning to my- Ilya's room. Katarina sometimes crashed and thankfully after a long debate, she decided to sleep with at least a bra and shorts.

On the sixth night, she came squealing into the room. In her hands, a sparkly costume.

"You're in high demand, Birdie," she told me, as she began to braid my hair. "They want to see you dance."

I wasn't too sure how I felt about that but hummed anyway.

"So will you do it?" Rina unexpectedly questioned.

"What?" I burst, almost spilling the hot coffee that was warming my hands. I thought that was out of the question.

"I made a small routine for you," she rambled on, ignoring my shock, "and I have this sexy outfit planned and-"

"Rina," I interrupted, "what the hell are you talking about? You want me to perform in the club?"

"They want you to," she corrected.

"Exactly!" I shrieked, "I thought the point was to not give them what they want!"

Katarina moved to do my makeup. "Да, and when they see you dance, they'll want you even more," she reasoned, stubbornly. [yes]

"But- but- but that's weird, Katarina! I don't want them to want me!"

"What did I say about power, Birdie?" she chided, before adding, "besides, if you don't come out sooner or later, they'll think you're scared-"

"I am scared!"

"-and they prey on fear. They're vultures!" she cackled.

I wore my best deadpan expression. The bird jokes weren't funny anymore.

"Okay, okay, but think about this: there's a special guest today and you especially want that power over him," she said, cryptically.

"Who?" I demanded.

"A certain Ilya Ivanov, perhaps," she smirked, slyly.

The witty retort I had planned flew out of my head and it was my heart that was caught in my throat. "W-what?"

"Ilya's coming back tonight! We need to show him he can't mess with you, right?" she encouraged.

I stayed silent.

"Phoenix, I thought you would've jumped at this opportunity!" Rina said incredulously.

"I-it's just that-" I took a deep breath and came out with the truth. "He kissed me."

There was an uncanny silence.

I reluctantly looked up to see why the girl was so uncharacteristically quiet.

Rina's jaw was hanging open and I wasn't surprised.

"Y-you," she began stuttering, "you what?"

I couldn't repeat the three words again for fear of dying from humiliation.

"I thought you hated each other," she gasped. "That's so awkward, Birdie. I used to relieve his stress."

I wrinkled my nose. "Rina!" I complained, "I didn't need to know that!"

She waved a hand, dismissively. "That is not important. In fact, this makes the mission more important!" she rambled, "We need to make him regret it!"

I furrowed my brows. "Regret kissing me?"

"No, you stupid girl! Make him regret leaving right after he kissed you! Total douchebag move," she exclaimed.

Now, I regretted teaching her common American phrases.

"B-but-"

"Phoenix! No buts. Power, remember," she grinned, conspiratorially, "just because he's the boss, doesn't mean he gets whatever he wants, right?"

I inhaled a sharp breath, remembering his sudden departure, his constant dominance, his ego. "Yes," I agreed, "you know what? Let's show him exactly what he can't have."

Me. The great and powerful Russian Mob Boss couldn't have me.

𝑥𝑜
𝖗𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖛𝖎