25

~ phoenix ~

I blinked my eyes to adjust to the sudden light around me. There were faint voices whispering harshly somewhere in the room, but I could not make out their words.

After trying to sit up on the soft bed, I groaned when a stamp of pain seared through my skull. God, it felt like I had a killer hangover. But last I knew...

I gasped. Did Gianna actually drug me?

Speak of the devil.

As my eyes unclenched, I spotter her sleek figure approaching. I clenched a fist, staying silent.

"You're awake."

My lips remained shut as I glared at the girl I thought I knew all my life. How dare she force me to go with her? How could she....? I suspected there was a little more than heroics going on here. Even Tabitha was acting strangely.

She appeared behind Gianna, fidgeting uncomfortably. I couldn't feel sympathy; I wouldn't.

"Phee-" the brunette began.

"Don't call me that!" I spat, harshly. I couldn't even recognise her anymore.

Her apathetic expression became fiery. "I saved you, Phoenix."

"You kidnapped me, Gianna!" I countered, angrily.

"So you were going to marry that Russian bastard? Willingly? Happily?"

I faltered.

"That's what I thought. I don't understand the issue here, Phoenix!" she exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air, "Why are you making me out to be the enemy? I want to help you!"

"THEN LET ME GO!" I screamed. I knew her very well. When she lied, she got defensive. Something was off.

Her face froze again. "I can't do that," she said quietly.

"Stop! Both of you!" Tabitha suddenly shouted.

My gaze snapped towards her. She wasn't the sweet, hushed girl I befriended anymore either. What happened in the two weeks I was gone?

"Gianna, tell her the truth." The blonde looked furious, determined to set things straight.

"No, I-"

"Before I tell her, G," Tabitha warned.

What truth?

Before I could interrogate them, a loud knock sounded on the door. A moment later, a tall, muscular figure strolled carelessly in the room. I recognised his tan face from the wedding, when he and Gianna intruded.

"Or I could tell her...? Wouldn't you like that, little kitten?" the stranger smirked, looking down at a flushed Tabitha.

My head pounded with processing all the strange occurrences of the last second, but I was determined to find out this truth.

"Tell me what?" I demanded, harshly.

The man's deep brown eyes flicked to me, raking over my figure.