50

~ phoenix ~

I didn't get to express my mutual feelings because suddenly, the van stopped.

I stiffened.

Loud footsteps on gravel could be heard from outside.

"We'll fight," Gianna whispered, fiercely.

"No," I argued, "Tabitha will get hurt."

The blonde protested, "I'm fine!"

We both ignored her, moving forwards and shielding her body with ours.

In the darkness, Gianna's fingers slipped through mine. I squeezed.

When the doors were wrenched open, I had no choice but to clench my eyes shut. Light poured in from every direction; it was unbearable.

Rough hands dragged us forwards. I cried in protest when Gianna's hand was ripped from mine. Tabitha squeaked behind us. The pain was blatant in her voice.

Tearing my eyelids open, I growled, "Let go of them!"

The men in black ignored me.

"How the fuck did they get out of their ropes?" a soft feminine voice demanded.

Craning my neck, I caught a glimpse of a pale woman. Her striking light eyes were narrowed and her long blonde hair was braided like a whip.

My brows furrowed. Those daunting features were familiar. Where had I seen her?

"Aliena," a deep voice said, "look."

Immediately, her gaze snapped to mine. I didn't flinch, meeting the stare head on.

A slow smirk formed on her lips. "Milena said nothing about a gift..."

Raising a brow, I spat, "Trust me, I'm no gift."

To my surprise, the woman - Aliena only laughed. It was enticing and melodic.

"Where are we?" I snarled, glaring viciously.

My eyes raked around the bleak surroundings as I struggled to release my hands from the bastard pinning me to his chest. The only thing I could see for miles was snow and ice.

"Let her go."

Immediately, I was released. Shooting a scathing look at the expressionless man who held me, I rubbed at my raw and peeling skin. Spots of crimson appeared where his nails had dug into my flesh. Seeing the damage, hot tears blurred my vision.

Wearing a sympathetic frown, Aliena stepped forward and pressed a soft kiss to each wrist. Shocked, I snatched my arms away.

Seemingly unphased, she flicked her fingers. Unexpectedly, a deafening bullet tore through the air, implanting itself into the chest of the man who held me. His lifeless body crumpled to the ground.

"I am Aliena, the Princess of Belarus. It is a pleasure to meet your acquaintance," she smiled, sweetly.

Glancing with horror at the corpse beside my feet, I repeated my question, "Where are we?"

"On the border. That way," she said, pointing to my left, "is Russia. And that way-" she gestured to the right "- is your new home, Belarus."

I narrowed my eyes. It was happening all again; I was going to be kidnapped for the second time. But this time, I would make sure my friends were unharmed.

"Fine," I responded, keeping any slip of emotion from my friend, "let my friends go and I will go willingly with you."

At that, Gianna came back to life. "Phoenix, don't you dare-"

"What do you say?" I persisted, ignoring the cursing Italian.

To my exasperation, Aliena laughed.

"And why would I negotiate with you, Phoenix?" she mused, trailing a finger down my bruised cheek. "Do you think you have a choice here?"

The coolness of her touch felt like ice to a wound: soothing.

I raised my chin, defiantly and swatted her finger away. "And when my grandparents eventually find out? They will drink your blood."

She stepped closer, a smirk forming on her lips. "Grandparents? You think a pair of crones can lay a finger on me?"

"Martha and Francizek Stilinski, old crones? Don't forget my mafia is twice the size of yours," I warned, angrily.

Amusement shone on her features, as well as recognition. "The Polish heir, dancing in a Russian club like a little whore?"

My eyes narrowed. "I was kidnapped by the Pakhan."

Now, I knew why she was so familiar. This dark-haired woman had been at the club the night I gave Ilya and his friends... a little show.

"He made me dance in his club," I lied, hating the guilt seeping into my chest, "and he used me to blackmail my grandparents." An idea flashed in my mind. "Return me to them and we will become allies."

Aliena looked away to Markov, whose face seemed to be as still as stone. And yet she found an answer in it.

Eventually, she met my gaze once more. "If you claim to be the Polish Princess, who am I to doubt you?" Aliena smiled, lacing her fingers through mine. Suddenly, her tone became sinister. "But if you lie to me, Phoenix Stilinski, then there will be consequences."

Her hand became a vice around mine, expressing the threat clearly, but I refused to show the pain on my face.

"I do not lie, Aliena," I said blankly, "return me and my friends home."

"Okay," she agreed, "but I keep the Italian."

I was terrified to hear the venom in her voice.

"That is not part of the-"

"The Polish despise the fucking Italians so why, I wonder, are you so protective over this little thing?" Aliena sauntered over to Gianna, skimming long black nails down her throat.

I bristled, striding forward to separate them. "Do we have a deal, Aliena or are you threatening what could be a powerful alliance?" I snarled.

The Belarusian Princess glared ferociously back. "Are you threatening me?"

"Of course not," I chuckled humourlessly, "I am simply advising you on what would be best for both of our futures."

The anger evaporated from her eyes. "So be it. Markov, prepare a plane. We will leave tonight."

Her right-hand man, who was also familiar from that night, nodded obediently.

My shoulders fell with relief. I had done it.

With intent, Aliena's gaze raked down my body. "Until then, Phoenix, why don't you entertain us?"

𝑥𝑜
𝖗𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖛𝖎