27

~ ilya ~

Bullets rained on the ground around me.

I paid no heed to the dropping bodies nor the falling debris as I strode forward. I saw her, a glimpse of her dark hair and then that pesky brunette had torn her from sight. But nonetheless, my little Phoenix was here and there would be no escape today. I came for what belonged to me and I was going to take it no matter what.

It was a coin toss that led me here. Before night fell, there were two other Italian safe houses that we could raid before we'd be forced to retreat and it was Aleksey's misfortune to have chosen tails. Don't they say heads always win? My men had grenaded the first wave of Italian scum in the Rocco stronghold and the stench of death and smoke wafted around the battleground spreading like a plague.

With hurried steps, I followed in the direction that I vaguely remembered the pair disappearing to. After descending some stairs, I walked towards more chaos. I needed to find the сука before a bullet was lodged in her skull. The Stilinskis would not be pleased. Besides, death would be too easy a price for the painful betrayal she gave.

All of a sudden, in my peripheral vision, I saw a dark figure hurtling forwards. Cocking my glock, I spun and fired two bullets. Immediately, the body sank to the ground. I spat disgustedly at the dead Italian bastard and to my frustration, the gunshots seemed to attract a small wave of blade-wielding enemies. All three surged towards me simultaneously, thrusting their machetes forward. I dodged two blades, firing a bullet into the forehead of the third attacker. The remaining two danced on the offensive, cornering me. I smirked. Was this all they had? I grabbed one of their hovering arms, twisting it until he was squirming beneath me. Then, I shot the standing one, watching the life bleed from his chest wound. I cocked my glock to pump some steel into the head of the last bastard only to find my magazine had run out. Sighing, I dropped the gun and pulled a switchblade from my back pocket before swiftly slicing his throat open. I grimaced when a sticky warm substance coated my fingers; I hated to get my hands dirty.

Then, the transceiver hanging on my waist crackled to life. I wiped my hands on the cunt's black shirt before receiving the message.

"Босс," Aleksey spoke, "были здесь." [Boss, we're here]

"Хорошо," I replied, "найди ее." [Good, find her]

The other half of my troops had arrived. I was pleased. We could now subdue the Fiorettis and Roccos without more unnecessary bloodshed. Did they really think they could get away with crossing me? Maybe I would be merciful, maybe I wouldn't. It depended on how obedient my precious сука would be. There would be no guarantee though; we Russians aren't exactly know for our forgiving natures.

I slid the transceiver back onto the loop of my belt but my head shot up when a bloodcurdling shriek pierced through the commotion. That voice.... Phoenix!

I sprinted in the direction of the scream, shoving past men and leaping over strewn corpses. As I neared, her frantic voice grew louder.

"No, no, no, no," I heard her cry. "NO!"

I expected to find the hands of my men trying to detain her but instead she stood alone.

"Phoenix," I shouted.

She didn't respond. I began to approach her until my mind had processed the scene before me.

The girl stood, visibly trembling over three bodies. In her bloody hands, a handgun.

𝑥𝑜
𝖗𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖛𝖎