19

~ ilya ~

The Stilinskis had only suggested once that my men and I stay at their abode.

I wasn't stupid nor was I blind. I knew where I wasn't welcome.

But I wouldn't be far. Aleksey had cleared out the nearest lodge, where we'd stay. I wasn't going to give my fiancé another opportunity to escape.

Speaking of, I needed to discuss some important matters with her.

Climbing into my car, I made my way to their estate, wondering what mood the сука would be in today. The last I saw of her was yesterday. After the four minute drive, I pulled into the empty driveway.

The quiet and silence in the Stilinski Mansion was unnerving as I walked up the front steps. I rose m hand to knock, but before I could touch the oak, it swung open revealing an unfamiliar face.

I raised my eyebrows at the teary-eyed blonde, who took a single glance at me before shoving past. When did the Stilinksis have guests?

Behind her came another figure. As she moved into the light, the brunette's face became visible. Tan skin and brow eyes. Why were those features so familiar?

Eventually, she became aware of my presence. Her jaw dropped momentarily when she saw my face. Then, those eyes narrowed. I could seen the clogs spinning in her mind. Did she know me? In a similar fashion to her friend, she shoved past me and followed her out.

I gritted my teeth as I fixed my suit jacket. Pulling out my phone, I called Aleksey.

"Да, начальник?" my second in command answered. [Yes, boss?]

"There was a brown haired girl at the Stilinski's place. Take her face from the security cameras and check if she's clean," I told him, walking up the stairs to Pheonix's room.

There was a moment of silence on the other end. I heard the furious sound of typing. "Any reason why?"

I hesitated. What was it in her face that I recognised? I couldn't quite place my finger on it. Something was off. She could've been a street whore I entertained once with a grudge but there was something else in her reaction to me. Fear.

"Nothing in particular, just an instinct. Let me know soon," I said before ending the call.

Standing in front of her door, I wasn't sure how to enter. Do I just walk in? Taking a deep breath, I raised a knuckle to knock. I waited a few moments. No response. I knocked again more aggressively. When silence greeted me again, I lost patience and swung the door open.

My eyes raked over the wreck. Clothes were strewn, picture frames shattered and furniture overturned. I looked around the chaos, heart beating faster. No Phoenix. Did she run again?

Storming out of the room, I descended a floor until I heard commotion behind one of the doors. A muffled scream, followed by loud sobs. Cracking the door open, I observed the situation with a pained grimace.

She was bent over her knees, crying into her hands in front of the fire grate. Her black locks were dangerously close to the flames.

I faltered in my steps towards Phoenix. I wasn't looking to comfort her. No. I wasn't.

But I couldn't let the сука burn herself alive. After a brief moment of hesitation, I gathered the chaotic girl in my hands. Her wide blue eyes blinked rapidly as she stared up at me. A flash of fury passed through her ocean pools. I prepared for a storm.

But it never came.

Instead, a wave of exhaustion rendered her limp in my hold. Clenching her eyes shut, she continued to silently weep. I made my way out of the room to climb the stairs to her room. I felt a thump against my chest.

Phoenix clenched a fist and weakly hit whatever part of me she could reach.

"I don't want this. Please," she cried.

I clenched my jaw.

"Ilya." Her small fingers grabbed my chin and forced me to look down at her. "I'm begging you, do something. Please."

I continued to stare at her face. I saw something flicker in those sorrowful sapphire depths. It wasn't hope. No, I didn't think she was foolish enough to still have that. But it did resemble some kind of twisted trust.

My expression softened. In the few weeks I knew her, this damn сука never failed to miss an opportunity to resist me. It infuriated me to no end. So why now did I feel admiration? Because she didn't cower. She was just like me. If only she could see that.

I lay her down on her bed before crouching on the floor beside me. Her bright eyes kept mine prisoner.

She was expecting something. Why did I want to give it to her?

Stroking her wild hair out of her face, I kept my gaze firmly trained on hers. Maybe I could help us both.

"I might have a proposition for you," I whispered, rubbing reassuring circles on her forehead.

"What?" she whispered back.

I was reluctant to speak aloud what dangerous plan was beginning to form in my mind. But perhaps it would bring the tortured girl some solace.

"Be my wife," I began.

To my surprise, her expression didn't fall. Instead, she inched closer, expecting more. Why was it so unpleasant that she was so desperate to get away from me?

"Until our divorce."

𝑥𝑜
𝖗𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖛𝖎