22

~phoenix~

The ivory wedding dress would be perfect in another world.

Glistening swarovski crystals embellished the Chantilly lace of the sleeves and the full skirt. Her bare back was warmed by the soft tulle of the veil that hung over her head. The sleek material hugged each curve and contour of her body. She looked like a princess.

But I knew I was not. Looking in the mirror, I felt the empty ache that the other girl hid. She smiled for the sake of her mother and grandmother. On the other hand, I was dying just a little more as I did everyday.

The stab of betrayal and hurt hadn't healed, and I warily suspected it would not for years to come. Beneath my veil, my face was flushed by the cold and nothing else. The only thing that would decorate my skin was the stain of tears that would soon come. And the oblivious guests could assume what they wanted.

With a final breath, I pinned my veil in place with the Ivanov heirloom. The sapphire hairpin sparkled in the moonlight pouring from the open windows of the third floor of the Stilinski estate. It wasn't home. I figured I wouldn't be home for a long while yet, if I had one still.

"You look stunning, baby," my mother whispered behind me.

I remained silent.

"The most beautiful bride I ever laid eyes on," Babs added, sniffling.

Without sound, I let them lead me down and out of the mansion. I carefully climbed into a limousine, and wordlessly, I held onto my blue and white bouquet.

It was as we pulled up and I scanned the crowd of unfamiliar guests outside the twinkling castle, when it eventually hit with the force of a ten tonne truck. The setting was magical. Trees draped in fairy lights, a runway of flowers and- and-

I choked on unshed tears. It lacked everything. I felt the absence of my father, my brother. Would they forget I existed? And Gianna? Tabitha?

They must despise me. I was the coward who didn't have the balls to tell them the truth they deserved. I would never have imagined a wedding without my two bestest friends in the world. Not ever.

I was frozen in place with those thoughts wreaking havoc in my mind. Sometime later, I felt my mother tug my arm. I must have been dragged into the chapel because my conscience returned to me as Dza led me up the aisle. I felt the stab of every pair of eyes dig into my back. My breaths grew heavier as the sea of scrutiny dared to swallow the last vestige of my confidence.

But I stopped breathing completely when I felt Dza's hand disappear. With every foot of space that decreased between us, the heat of his gaze intensified.

Ilya stepped down from the stage to help me up. His warm hand left a stinging imprint on mine. I dared to look up from the orchids in my grasp to the man I'd be wedded to in moments. The dark suit that clung to his every muscle was immaculate. From the black bow-tie at his throat to the indigo periwinkle in his breast pocket...

My favourite flower.

I hoped he wouldn't spy my watery eyes through the veil. We hadn't even exchanged vows yet.

Suddenly, my breaths grew laboured again. I focused on evenly spacing each rise and fall of my chest. In the background, the officiator droned on. Occasional sobs sounded from the pews. But I concentrated on nothing but my breaths.

Too soon, his deep, husky voice shattered by focus.

"I, Ilya Dmitri Ivanov, take you, Phoenix Lyra Vale to be my lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to- to cherish-"

I braced myself for his next lie. Till death do us apart.

"-and according to my law," he gently squeezed my hand and my eyes flew to his "-I vow to honour you and your decisions, to never let a single scratch harm your body and I solemnly swear to never break this... oath."

I clenched my fist around the dying flowers and I prepared myself to deliver my end of the deal.

"I..." I quickly inhaled a last breath of freedom. "I, Phoenix Lyra Vale, take you, Ilya Dmitri Ivanov to be my lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to cherish and to stay loyal by your side, to- to-"

Before I could choke on words I didn't have, the doors of the cathedral slammed open.

My eyes flew to the loud intruder, widening when they landed on the familiar face.

Screeches filled the room after a gunshot shattered the shocked silence.

"I object!" Gianna growled.

𝑥𝑜
𝖗𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖛𝖎