01

~ phoenix ~

Tonight would be our last night in Milan.

Gianna Fioretti and Tabitha Wolf sat with barely concealed excitement beside me as the cab headed to one of Italy's finest nightlife destinations, the Alcatraz.

The former was clad in a figure hugging maxi dress, which she paired with bone crushing six inch stilettos. Her chestnut locks were held in an intricate braid down her back, and a few strands floated above her chocolate eyes in a curtain bang fashion. After over a decade knowing her, it would be insulting to deny that her taste in fashion was anything but impeccable. After all, she did grow up in one of the world's most trendiest fashion hubs. Although I was desperate to see some of Rome's ancient structures, it was more convenient that we'd be able to stay with Gianna's Nonno and Nonna at no expense here in Milan.

Despite saving up for years, my Babs and Dza, which was short for Babcia and Dziadek in Polish, insisted they help with a little fund. My maternal grandparents lived in Poland and owned a large business in textiles. To say the least, they had no shortage in money. I figured that's why Mom hated to talk about her childhood and avoided interactions with her family, because she wanted to prove her independence. I couldn't help but wonder why she was reluctant for them to see me during holidays and in the lead up to summer vacation, it was proving impossible to get her permission for the trip. But regardless, she unexpectedly relented and bought the tickets.

Even with the additional ten thousand dollars, travelling through Europe was not by any means cheap. Hostel prices, restaurants and even the damn souvenirs were a rip off. On top of that, Gia, Tabby and I planned to travel through ten different countries, staying in each for a week. After landing in London a month ago, we'd already hit up France, Germany and Spain. After Italy, we had Greece and Romania on our agendas, which were further down south. Finally, we'd head north to the colder regions of the new and unfamiliar continent to Norway, Switzerland and Poland. Dza, my granddad, insisted we visit him before we returned home. He said he had a surprise and I was itching to find out what it was.

I almost squealed with anticipation. This would be the best summer vacation ever heard of before eventually in fall, we'd be back in Chicago, heading off to different colleges. The three of us, we were friends since the age of dawn. I met Tabitha in kindergarten when she stole my precious box of crayons and a couple of years later, Gianna waltzed into our lives, having moved five thousand miles across the Atlantic from Italy. Nothing would separate us, we'd vowed in first grade, and now we were determined to make the best memories before my scholarship at Princeton would snatch them away.

"Hey, get in the frame, you fatasses," Tabby complained, holding her phone back as far as she could reach.

Rather than retorting a snarky comeback, I chose to be the bigger and better person that I was and leaned in for the selfie.

The 5'4" dirty blonde, green-eyed princess looked stunning in her velvet mini skirt, which she matched with a champagne sequinned bralet. Her long tan limbs looked almost identical to mine thanks to the sun kissed sheen that we'd been sporting ever since that crazy week in Ibiza.

However, whereas she opted for tan platform heels, I chose silver four inch pumps that matched the sparkle of my choker. Along with those accessories, I wore a burgundy plunge neck mini dress that flattered my thick thighs well. My raven black hair was tied into a half-mess half-regal updo and my blue eyes were outlined with dark mascara.

To say the least, we were ready for a great night. I mean, what could be better than a night of dancing and endless free drinks on hot Italian men we wouldn't be taking home? Clearly, the girls shared my zeal since they were almost bouncing on their seats as the uber pulled up to the nightclub.

After ten minutes of waiting in a cue that seemed to grow uncontrollably behind us, the bulky bouncers granted us entry into the flashy venue. The first thing I saw, because it was impossible not to, was a mammoth glittering orb above the dance floor. It shot neon streaks across swaying, erratic bodies and shone on the sweaty band that screamed into their mics on a well lit stage. Beams of light bounced off a large crystal bar. It was literally made out of glass and clear gems.

A grin made its way onto my face as my hands found Tabby and Gia's in the chaotic crowd. Dragging them in the direction of drinks, I said, "We should start with drinks, no?"

Gia's dark eyes narrowed at me. "You're really taking advantage of the fact that you can drink under twenty one in Europe, aren't you?"

I was pretty sure she was hinting at my unforgettable antics in Spain's party central last week. "Hey! We're nineteen, so it's legal!" I fired back.

"You sure act like it, Phee," Tabby remarked with a laugh on my other side.

I glared accusingly at her for taking Gia's side. Didn't they want to have fun? "What does that mean?"

"What I mean, naughty miss Phoenix Lyra Vale, is that we have a flight tomorrow at literally eleven AM for Kassandra and it already seems like you're going to have a killer hangover."

My face blanched at her words, more specifically the use of my unnecessary middle name. "I can totally stay sober," I defended, shooting daggers at both my so-called besties. To further emphasise my point, I waved over a gorgeous bartender and asked for a plain old water. "See?"

To my annoyance, they shared a look of amusement over my head.

---

I was totally not drunk.

I mean, I could walk straight, speak without a slur and wave off overexcited boys, who seemed to want to undress me right there and then. But... I wasn't exactly sober either. Adrenaline and heat rushed in my veins and in my peripheral vision, I was sure I saw stars.

After downing the remnants of my bitter sidecar concoction, I suddenly felt a tightness in my chest. A suffocating sense of claustrophobia began to ease in on my nerves as I pushed passed perspiring bodies and a hoard of hasty incomers. Eventually, I found an exit and inhaled the crisp night breeze. Like ice, it soothed the fire in my blood and numbed the buzz in my head. I opened my clutch bag and fished out my phone to text the girls that I was outside for a bit. I was unsurprised that neither answered immediately. I mean, who checks their phone at a club?

Even though the wind was refreshingly calming, it didn't alleviate the restlessness in my bones. As a result, I walked along the side of the building to burn off some energy. My feet drew me closer to a large red sign that screamed 'VIP'. It pointed to a side entrance that led up a flight of stairs to a higher level. I only leant on the brick wall for a moment when I heard a dull shout.

Curious, I crept closer to the commotion that was getting louder by the second. I was too far away to see what exactly was happening and there was a crowd of black-suited men blocking my view. I stooped a little to catch a glimpse between several muscular arms and that's when I saw it.

A cowering man kneeled with a bruised and bloody face before a tall silhouette, whose face I couldn't catch a glimpse of. He appeared to be weeping and grabbing at leather clad feet. I noticed the multitude of cuts and scrapes decorating the arm where the sleeve of his white dress shirt, now a dark crimson, hung torn open.

My mouth fell open when the dim light of the alley glinted on steel. When the object came fully into view, I realised it was a gun. And it was pointing directly between the eyes of the broken man. Then, boom.

A gasp left my throat. Or maybe it was a scream.

At my horrified outburst, several faces whirled in my direction. My clutch tumbled out of my grasp as my hands rose to cover my open mouth. Tears pricked at my eyes and the wind was knocked out my chest. What did I just witness?

Startling silver eyes shot to mine but that was all I saw before I was kicking off my heels and hurtling in the opposite direction.

𝑥𝑜
𝖗𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖛𝖎