39

~ ilya ~

I rose slowly, lifting my pounding head from her lap.

The pain was bearable now, and it was thanks to one infuriatingly beautiful girl.

I stared at Phoenix's soft features, innocent as she slept. Who was she? Why did I want to punish and protect her at the same time? Why was it so hard not to kiss her when she was just millimetres away?

She didn't laugh, tease, nor did she mock me in my moment of weakness. I was the Russian Mob Boss. I was at only her mercy for one agonising night and she stayed. Hell, I half expected her to use this as an opportunity to escape especially after the stunt I pulled earlier but no this confusing girl, she stayed and pulled me through it.

I swallowed my wonder, clearing my throat as I rose from the bed. What the fuck was she doing to me?

Immediately, a wave of dizziness slammed into my head, almost knocking me back. I grit my teeth, furiously. What the fuck happened to me last night?

I don't ever remember drinking this heavily. I clicked my tongue frustratedly. I must've thrown back too many shots after arguing with her. Блядь, I cursed. It was dangerous to lose control.

I fought the lightheadedness and made my way to the en-suite. I spotted her scanty outfit from last night discarded on the ground. I looked away, before indecent thoughts began filling my mind. I couldn't think about her like that - it was too reckless.

Planting my feet firmly on the ground, I shrugged off my shirt and cautiously raised one leg to pull my trousers off and then the other. Why did it feel damp? I had no memory of what happened after I returned to the party.

I took a deep breath, forcing my mind to concentrate. I got downstairs, ordered a drink, apologised to Aliena, spoke to Mila and then.... And then, what happened?

With shaky feet, I stumbled into the shower. I turned the water to scalding. I needed to wake up and think. I pulled away from my thoughts and slumped against the glass door.

Breathe.

All of a sudden, I heard a surprised shriek behind me.

"Ilya?" Phoenix stuttered. "Um, I didn't think- you, er, didn't lock the door and- and-"

I mustered the energy to speak coherent words. "I-it's okay, Phoenix," I said finally.

There was a momentary silence.

"Ilya...?" she trailed off.

"Hmm?" I murmured.

"Are you okay?"

I clenched my jaw. Did I sound that fucking weak? "Yes."

"Do you need-"

"I'm fine!" I snapped, without realising my frustration. Instantly, I regretted it.

"Okay, then," she said, simply before I heard the shut of the door.

Biting back an exasperated growl, I slammed the tap shut. What the fuck was wrong with me?

I grabbed a towel from the rack, wrapped it around my waist and reentered the room.

There was another startled squeal from Phoenix but I ignored it, striding over to my closet. I inspected my clothes rail, noticing that half of the content was missing whilst her half remained mostly untouched. The corners of my lips quirked up.

Hearing Phoenix escape into the restroom, I dropped my towel and pulled on some boxers. Then finding some appropriate dress pants, I slipped those on too. I flicked through my shirts, not finding the matching one. From the corner of my eyes, I spotted the navy dress shirt strewn on the bed. I picked it up, shrugging it onto my shoulders. Immediately, her scent flooded my nostrils. I didn't complain.

As I tried to button the damn fabric up, I found my fingers were useless. "Ради бога," I seethed, yanking the two sides together. [For fuck's sake]

Suddenly, a small hand landed on my shoulder. It forcefully spun me towards her.

I quirked an eyebrow at Phoenix, who ignored the question in my eyes but stared straight at my chest. This was new.

It was when her fingers reached for my buttons when I realised what she was trying to do. I growled quietly, stepping away. I could do my own fucking buttons.

"Ilya!" she spoke sharply.

I scowled.

"I don't care if you want my fucking help or not, but you're going to have it-"

I put a finger to her lips. "Do you want to be reminded who's boss, Phoenix?" I moved forward until her legs were against the bed. "I believe I promised to show you exactly that..."

Stubbornly, she stood, reaching for my shirt again.

With annoyance, I grabbed her hands. "Stop."

"No."

"Yes."

"Net," she said suddenly in Russian.

My brows rose. Something aroused within me as her cherry lips formed the word with a terrible accent. I couldn't laugh. I didn't want to. No, I wanted to do something else.

"Дa," I replied, an amused smirk forming on my lips.

"Ilya," she complained finally, "just let me do the bloody buttons!" Her blue gaze rose defiantly to mine.

"Why?" I demanded, "I can do my own."

"Yes, I know," she said.

I scrutinised her tone for any hint of sarcasm but there was none.

"I just- I want to," she elaborated, lowering her gaze. Then to my absolute shock, she added, "It's what wives do, you know. They button up their husbands' shirts and help them even if they don't want help."

I hadn't realised in my stupor that she'd buttoned half the shirt already. I didn't protest any further as she finished it and smoothed out my collar.

A small smile formed on my lips. My arms enclosed around her body as I teased quietly, "So is that what you are to me now?"

Phoenix flattened her palms on my chest, as if to balance herself. "Am I not?" she mumbled, tracing indecipherable shapes on my shirt.

"Yes," I decided, softly, "you are."

I left out that we didn't get to our 'I do's in the chapel. But maybe we would one day because as far as I knew, this breathtaking woman would be mine for as long as I lived.

Unable to resist, I leaned forward to press a soft, gentle kiss to her forehead. I heard her sharp intake of breath, feeling satisfied that she was as affected as I was.

"I'll see you later," I told her, slowly unwrapping my arms from her body. Why did she shiver?

I strode over to the windows, shutting them firmly before adding, "And don't get up to any trouble. Please."

Her head snapped in my direction, mouth hanging open. I wanted to scowl. I was capable saying 'please'. Why was she acting so surprised?

It was her adorable expression that I blame for dragging me across the distance between us to press another kiss this time to her flushed cheek.

When I left, closing the door behind me, there was a strange expression on my face. Why were my lips suddenly defying me?

More importantly, what was Phoenix Lyra Vale, or should I say, Phoenix Lyra Ivanova doing to me?

𝑥𝑜
𝖗𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖛𝖎