2 | Is It the Truth You Remember

THE ESSENTIAL THING TO DO AFTER A CRIME SCENE was to revisit each detail and write it down so it wouldn't be tampered with by one's own brain

That was the first thing Robin did the moment the paramedics arrived. She rushed to the counter and took out Christina's notebook that she kept around for recipes and grocery lists. She picked the pen stuck between the pages and opened a fresh page, scribbling hurriedly until she felt her wrists go numb.

Memory could easily be fabricated, details could vanish and be replaced by foreign ones we convince ourselves did happen - but it could be a lie.

"Will you be able to specify why Christina Clark was in apartment 1507 and not yours?"

There was nothing Robin hated more than meaningless conversation, and to her luck, the officer sitting before her wasn't a fan of it either. Detective Evelyn Crane, as Robin read from the name tag because she couldn't for the life of her remember it when she introduced herself, had reassured her that she could take all the time she needed to talk. Robin had wanted to get the entire process over with, choosing to postpone processing emotions for a later time - a much, much later time.

Crane had started with easy questions, some that Robin had rushed through to get to the darker side of the interrogation. Could it be considered cold to be able to talk about death so objectively? She didn't know, but it was working for her, and it was the only way she knew how to cope - to block it all out, block Violet's cold dead body lying on the carpet, her blood warm and thick, her skin pale, her eyes distant and... dead.

Violet was dead.

Robin slouched on the uncomfortable chair. It was made of leather, but the cushion was rough. Her muscles were cramping up and her back was starting to hurt. The tightness of the private room was suffocating her more and more by the second.

"It's not odd. She might have been with Spencer so she wouldn't stay alone."

"You usually spend most of your time together?"