20 | Lamb to the Slaughter: Part Two

ROBIN AND FINN BOTH BLINKED AT HER the moment she informed them that someone slipped a folder inside Lexy's bag, such an anti-climactic piece of information compared to Christina's expectations of it being ground-breaking news

"And?" Finn urged her to continue, his voice slightly echoing around the empty space.

She had even gone so far as to take the two of them out into the emergency stairs, and the three of them stood right next to a small set of steps that lead to the rooftop.

"Sneakily slipping folders inside of a bag? Now? Don't you see how suspicious and dangerous it is?"

"...and?"

Christina huffed. "This folder clearly contains something classified, like evidence."

"Evidence to what?" Robin frowned, not catching where she was going with this.

"It might be a follow-up on the mayor's death," she rationalized. "It's been what? A year? And Viviane Dallas's last piece was about Olivia Winters running for mayor, and the one before was about Hunter's death. She hasn't published anything since. It only means that she is still working on this case."

Finn frowned, his confusion obvious from the scrunch of his nose. "How can you be so sure?"

"Investigative journalists can spend months or even years researching and writing a specific case. In her last piece on November the fifth, she assumed foul play around the sudden death, even if she didn't explicitly mention it. This only means she's digging up more information about this." Her eyes sparkled at the thought this could be her biggest piece yet, a thrill humming deep within her nerves.

Finn could see her point; he just couldn't see why he and Robin should be concerned with it.

"I don't see how this should be our business," Robin voiced his thoughts as she leaned back, resting against the wall.

"But... it could be our business." She looked up at them. "It's a thread. It's a thread that I'm sure has to lead me somewhere. This has to lead me somewhere. Don't you see the dots? Mayor dies and several months later Violet does?"

A stilled silence settled among the three, and Robin was the first to break it.

"Seems a bit far-fetched," she voiced her honest thoughts, and Finn nodded in agreement.

"I don't know... it does seem far-fetched, yeah. There's absolutely no link that ties these two together."

Christina arched an eyebrow. "She was dating his son," she reminded. "The two people are connected, I just have to find a link to their deaths. It might be a long shot, but it's worth trying, don't you think?"

"I guess..." Finn trailed, not really convinced but willing to try.

"Okay." Christina released a heavy sigh. "I have a plan. I need to get that file, and I need you two to distract them so I can retrieve it, check it out, and put it back. That's all I'm asking."