27 | Origin

tw: off-screen mention of: human remains, SA, violence, and child abuse.

Song for this chapter: Allowed to be Happy OST (it's a bit dark but it'll get better in the following chapters promise!)

Deep breaths here we go...

August 5, 2021

THE HANDWRITING SCRIBBLED on top of the worn-out paper was harsh, its usual steady and clean cursive letters now twisted and quivered.

Violet noticed the slight tremor in her fingers, and she clenched them tight. The sound of crumbled papers echoed around her like a jolt, cutting through the silence that haunted the cemetery in the dead hour of the night.

Her dark hair curtained around her and tunneled her vision, her eyes skimming the contents of the letter, rereading until the words burned into the void of her pupils. She retrieved the lighter out of her pocket and flicked the wheel; the sound of grating metal quietened by the soft hiss of gas. Fire touched the corner of the paper, gradually swallowing the words until nothing but crumbled ash remained and cascaded to the ground, coating the dirt and peppering the soles of her shoes.

A heavy sigh escaped her lips, and she pinched the bridge of her nose tightly. A moment's hesitation made her question what she had gotten herself into - but the slight kindle of insecurity was wiped away by the surge of determination that plunged into her veins.

The bar was warmly lit, softening the sharp edges of Violet's features the moment she stepped in

The bar was warmly lit, softening the sharp edges of Violet's features the moment she stepped in. It was bustling with customers; the loud blend of noise engulfed her like a warm blanket, managing to somewhat melt the stiffness of her spine.

Jeremy and Lizzie were on shift tonight, Jeremy handling the poker table as always seeing as he enjoyed watching the fights that would erupt at the slightest snark, while Lizzie handled the rest of the bar. She was balancing a tray full of empty beer bottles and half-drunk glasses when she saw her enter the crowded place, almost shadowed by the heavy smoke that fogged every corner.

"Hey!" She grinned, motioning to follow her as she wound her way back behind the bar, placing the tray on the wooden surface and facing her. Violet smiled, chin tilting to notice Kaden was sitting on a stool, taking a sip of his scotch.