10 | Down the Rabbit Hole: Part Two

CHRISTINA FUMBLED WITH HER bag the moment they reached the station's door

CHRISTINA FUMBLED WITH HER bag the moment they reached the station's door. Robin took a right, walking towards the stairs. Finn slowly followed, craning his neck to peer down.

Her gaze inspected the caged city. It expanded miles and miles ahead, floors of habitation connected through bridges on the middle floor to get from one side to the next, built every few kilometers. Her eyes skipped down to stare at the lantern threads cobbed in between. A particular one caught her eye, elastic and stretching from the metal rails of the funicular on her left, down to the first connected bridge ahead. She noticed the slight tremor; the aftermath of the rubber band being stretched.

"Hold on, I'm getting the-" Christina took out one torch, extending her arm to hand it to Finn.

"Yeah, I don't think we need these..."

"What do you mean?" She took a step forward. Her eyes stretched wide, gaping at the sight. "Woah..." It was the last thing she expected, to have a supposedly buried city filled with so much light. Granted, they were on high guard, yet she couldn't help but marvel at the fact. The mere thought she was unaware that Burlington district was powered with lights in its entirety from top to bottom was enough to make her mind doubt every information she had read about this place.

But that was one district. Burlington could be the exception.

She was in awe of the many ideas she could pitch now. She could study this, write about it, learn it. She fished out her phone from her bag and snapped a picture. She would need it.

She wondered if they had time to check other districts.

Robin watched her all throughout. She gave her a moment before she interjected. "You'll continue your tourism down under. Let's go." She turned so they could get inside the station, the funicular being their fastest method of getting down. "At this rate, we won't be back before midnight and Frankie might start crying."

It took Finn a moment to realize she was referring to him.

Jeremy craned his neck back, catching glimpse of them inside the confined glassed windows of the funicular

Jeremy craned his neck back, catching glimpse of them inside the confined glassed windows of the funicular. It was descending slowly, and he didn't waste a second as he rushed to get to the bar.