3 | The Morality Scale

A LIGHT FLICKERED IN THE DISTANCE

The street was empty; it was shrouded in a thick mist, snow covering most of the surface, and the only few cars that passed by drove so slowly to avoid any accident on the slippery asphalt.

"Did you admit the patient?"

"No. He didn't make it. Died inside the ambulance, poor guy."

Robin kept her eyes ahead, staring outside the window unblinkingly, studying the flickering light of the streetlamp. She barely focused on what two of her colleagues were saying, their figures reflected against the glass before her.

"What was it?"

"Not sure, heard he was into some kind of trouble. Bet all my money it's got something to do with drug deals."

"Why? 'Cause of where he's from? Seriously Paul-"

"No. I meant because of the situation and all."

"Oh..." Patricia, his sister, heaved a grim sigh. "Fairford just gets crazier each day, huh?"

"Yeah... can't wait to get the fuck out. I'm living off cafeteria food to save money faster."

Robin heaved a sigh, her eyelids sealing shut when the streetlamp started to function. The orange halo formed a deep contrast to the navy-blue color of the sky, and it was the only source of light to illuminate the dark corner of Kennedy street.

"Ah, well... can't say I feel anything anymore. Scary how you become immune."

"You're still a first-year resident, Patricia, don't talk like you've had years of experience-" Paul cackled-"Ow!"

She shot him a dark glare after punching his shoulder. "Where do you think we could go?" She turned to look back down at her half-eaten sandwich, picking at the crumbs. "I mean, any place is better than here, really."

"Not really. Fairford is still currently better than anywhere else. It's just the direction it's heading to is scary. We're still milestones ahead of Darwin City," he mused. Patricia paused, giving it another thought.

"Yeah. You're right. I hope it doesn't come down to this." She shivered at the thought. "The underground is terrifying. You know Gwen? The biologist we met back at Thomas's house party?" Paul nodded. "She told me only a few people are allowed to go there in their research facility. Barely five including enforced security."

"Damn..." Paul mumbled. "I shouldn't be surprised. It's been a dump our entire lives. I heard they experiment on people. Did you know the government tested the first ever Covid vaccine on them too?"