35 | White Flag

Cw: panic attack. But the rest is fluff I promise!

CHRISTINA TRIED TO RATIONALIZE WHY she ended up in this situation in the first place, a sledgehammer, and a pair of goggles in each hand while Joe beamed at her, a steel bat resting on her shoulder

Joe had asked her what she had in mind after agreeing to her proposal, though Christina hadn't come up with an actual plan. She hadn't seen it coming; she had expected a lot more convincing had to be done and even then, she had envisioned Joe disagreeing till the very end.

"I was thinking like... bike ride?" She had managed to suggest, although regretting it instantly as the idea had seemed ridiculous. "Um... we could go to a board game café I know is kinda cute."

Joe had stared at her blandly as if to assess if she had been serious. She had cleared her throat upon realizing she was.

"Alright... cute, maybe another time. Anything else?"

Christina had startled at the words then. Another time.

"Escape room," she had sputtered out, stopping a wince once she had realized those were ideas she would think of for dates.

"Escape room?" Joe's brows had pulled up, and she had blinked as if she had just remembered something. "You know what? I know just the thing."

Which brought them here a few hours later, as Joe claimed she needed time to brace herself, in the living room of an abandoned dwelling on the surface. It wasn't exactly vacant, as a hoard of items was stored in carton boxes by the wall, and furniture was still decorating each corner, gathering dust. Christina noticed most of the items were made of glass, she also noticed shattered debris scattered on the floorboard under their shoes. She thought it was from the broken television screen, but the quantity made her believe it wasn't the case.

"I don't understand what you want us to do," Christina stated as she stared owlishly at Joe. The latter pulled the goggles around her head, looking back up at her.

"We're gonna smash some stuff."

Christina blinked, eyes skimming the place. "Isn't this someone's home?"

"Used to be a long time ago. It's been empty even before I was born." Joe kicked a discarded candlestick out of the way as she moved further into the house. "Relax, we've done this before. This is our fury room, or whatever your people call it. This house should've been torn down ages ago, there's a banner about it just outside. After the uprooting, they never got around it."

"Why did they want to demolish it?"

"Outdated structure." Joe shrugged, then she was quick to add with a frown, "Oi, I know I gave you a sledgehammer but don't tear down walls, I don't think it can hold."

Christina snorted, though Joe was dead serious. "You know what..." She sighed, holding the tool by the stick and resting it on the floor against the back of a couch. "I'm really not a violent person."