28 | Remembrance

THE WIND WAS SOFT AGAINST HER SKIN on her way back to Burlington

Her leg softly thrummed, a distant echo as she walked in a haze, taken by the night sky above her. It was well into the night, almost three in the morning, and with the darkness of the lifeless surface, she could see stars peppering around the moon without the pollution of light.

She breathed in, bypassing the station and making her way to the top of the stairs, the funicular behind her serving as an easier way for her to get down. This was the place she used to come to whenever her old man would leave her for an extended number of days to hunt food for herself without having her limbs torn off, forcing her to steal, put her fighting skills to good use, sharpen her instincts.

Her eyes skipped from the lantern threads cobbed all the way down, to the thick elastic wire that stretched from the metal rails of the funicular to the first connected bridge. She had caught it the first time the three of them came; it had been quivering, evidence that it had been used.

Her finger ran smoothly across the elastic, pulling it down briefly before letting go, watching it jolt back into place. She recalled seeing Jeremy right before their arrival, and her mind wandered back to the many times they had used that wire when the funicular wasn't yet built.

She hummed to herself, maybe it was still usable after all.

Her eyes followed the path down; it could be three hundred feet - she wasn't sure. Her fingers furled around the wire, feet reaching the edge of the cliff. Just as she was about to look up to ready herself for the fall, her eyes caught a figure standing right at the center of Burlington. Her neck craned down, chest tight as she made out the features of Kaden, his posture straight, his chin tipped up to look at her.

Her heartbeat thrummed against her wound, and she took a step back. She couldn't be so reckless when she had just sewed it merely hours ago, she couldn't risk having it tear and spit blood - she already exerted it enough as it was.

Maybe another time.

She retreated to the station, bypassing the ticketing kiosk and pulling her body over the checkpoint, swinging her legs over the rail. She pressed a button and the doors slid open, exposing the compact space of the funicular. She stepped inside and pressed a button to close the doors, and the funicular launched its descent.

It was the first time she was using it, a little surprised that it was fairly well kept, and she wondered where they got the money to put it in place in the first place.

Her eyes caught Kaden as he made his way closer to where she would land, and she readied herself for their overdue talk.

The doors slid open, and she met his gaze as he stood several feet away from her, his posture straight and expression stoic. Robin noticed he was still wearing his outfit, cargo pants, and long-sleeved beige shirt, and she wondered if he had ever changed out of them to sleep. Or was he still awake?