5 | Blood in the Cut

HOLDING THEIR BREATH, Robin and Finn ran the rest of the way to Bridgeham building, the cold air prickling their lungs and the adrenaline rushing in their blood.

Finn's hand was numb now, he could barely feel the blood damping the cotton fabric. His brain had gone into a reactive state; reacting to his surroundings without processing the information. His body's response was to get out.

As soon as the metal door was in sight, Robin pulled out the thread around her neck to get the key. Her movement came to a sudden halt at the sight of a person waving their arms frantically to catch their attention. She blinked the sweat off her eyelashes.

Christina.

"Hurry!" She hissed, pushing her body out of the way right as the two bolted inside the building.

Robin turned to face her. Her chest heaved slightly as she controlled her breathing, and the crease between her eyebrows deepened. "What-"

"I heard gunshots-" Christina swallowed between huffs, turning to press the elevator button but realizing Finn already did. They heard the cheerful sound of the elevator's ding! resonate in the floor almost mockingly, and the doors slid open.

They wasted no time as they jumped inside, Finn hurriedly pressing the tenth floor and the closing button repeatedly, as if him doing that would shorten the delay of the elevator's commands.

"-I remembered Finn went out to the pharmacy. I have your live location too." Christina held her hip, feeling the threatening pulse of a cramp in the muscle.

"Why are you out of breath?" Robin frowned, leaning against the wall, her heartbeat already back to its normal pace.

"I used the stairs down," she whined, bending her back in hopes to mend her cramps.

The trio's bodies were slick with sweat and their emotions were high. The anxiety that had captured their instincts kept a tight hold on them, refusing to let them be.

"Damn Darwinites taking advantage of Fairford at its weakest," Christina hissed.

Robin's eyes narrowed. "They seemed Fairfordians to me."

"They did?" Christina's eyebrows shot up at the thought.

Just then, the elevator signaled its arrival. Finn was the first to leave, making his way to his apartment.

"Not so fast," Robin was quick to stop him, jutting her chin to usher at his hand. "Let me." She tilted her head to their apartment, and Finn nodded.

"Yeah, right." He had completely forgotten, exhaustion flooding his body as the rush of adrenaline he had felt decreased tenfold.

Christina pushed open the door, heading to the sink to put water in glasses, serving the pair. They took a refill, drowning the content in one go, heartbeats settling into an even rhythm. Robin took the hairband off her wrist and tied her hair up in a ponytail, thin brown strands managing to escape despite the tight grip. She gently tapped Finn on the back of his elbow and ushered him to get to the sink.