23 | Through the Looking Glass: Part Two

ROBIN RAN AFTER THE STRANGER like they were prey, and she was hungry for the kill

The surface of Darwin was made of stones and unequal footing. The houses were shaped like cave dwellings, knitted closely together and constructed randomly in height, with stairs threading around the uninhabited dank housings. The asymmetrical nature of the surface was an advantage the stranger exploited. They were quick on their feet, the tip of their toes feathering against the stones and their hands grasping against rock expertly like it was second nature to them.

And Robin wasn't far behind.

She followed the dark figure around tightly knit roofs, ankles almost twisting from the lack of training - it had been years since she had last trained for proper parkour. Fairford surfaces vastly differed. She tightened the muscles in her core and chased after them, scaling walls and buildings and stairs, mimicking the movements of the person ahead of her and neglecting the rough surface tearing at her skin.

Christina and Finn were quick to follow, the latter's pace slower because of the bag's heavy weight on his shoulders.

"Hurry!" Christina scrambled and Finn puffed out a dying breath.

"I'm not fit for this," he wheezed.

Christina's head followed the rattle of the whistle around Robin's neck. Her ears prickled once they bypassed the sea of the people and into a more secluded area, one less populated and quiet. She struggled to keep up with the pace, drowning in confusion because she had lost sight of them a while ago, and she suspected they no longer were on the ground.

"How in the world..." Her eyes squeezed under the sun's sharp light, beads of sweat trickling down her forehead. She huffed out uneven breaths, Finn's pants echoing behind her as they slowed their pace. She rested her hands on her waist, craning her neck from side to side in search of any sign of Robin.

"How is she so fast?" Finn choked out, his voice coming out in a wheeze.

Christina's eyes widened at the sight of stairs ahead, and she rushed to reach them. A groan tore out of Finn's throat, and he followed, his legs shaking from the weight on his shoulder. The duo climbed a few steps until they were on top of a few houses, and Christina's head shot from side to side, ears straining to follow the familiar rattle of the whistle again.

"There!"

She followed Finn's voice and swiveled her head to where he pointed. Her mouth hung open at the sight of Robin, hot on the stranger's heels, jumping through buildings.

"Holy shit," she uttered through labored breath. The dreadful feeling of bile prickled at her throat from the sudden exertion, and she swallowed it down, gagging in reflex.

"Did you know she could do that?" His eyes snapped to Christina, desperate for answers.

"Let's go." She picked up her pace, relying on the rattle of chains to catch Robin's silhouette, but her attempts were futile.