| 𝐎𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐋𝐄 | 𝘳𝘰𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘯 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯

An oracle is a person (usually a priestess) or shrine through whom gods or deities reveal hidden knowledge or prophetic predictions

An oracle is a person (usually a priestess) or shrine through whom gods or deities reveal hidden knowledge or prophetic predictions. Perhaps the most famous is the Oracle of Delphi, who was the mouthpiece for the Greek god Apollo.

»»————««

🤎

s u s a n

The dying afternoon sun was shrouded behind low-hanging clouds, and my shoes scuffed the slick cobblestone as Lorcan and I strode down the street.

I began to turn the corner towards the telephone box where the visitor's entrance was, but he yanked me away. "How many times must I remind you, I work here, darling," he beamed at me condescendingly, like I was a wandering child.

"Yes, but I don't, you idiot!" I said in a frigid panic. He only laughed, a light chuckle that carried away with the cold, balmy air. "Family can take the main entrance."

We pattered down the stairs to the underground toilets, and I struggled to keep up with his long, casual strides. The passageway was bustling with unsmiling Londoners carrying their work bags, marching along sternly in an unspoken race to their next destination.

The toilet was absolutely filthy. Its walls were caked with scum and my nose twitched at the smell. I watched as Lorcan put his foot into the dirty bowl and held out his hand to me. "Step in," he instructed.

"What's wrong with the visitor's entrance?" I whined, remaining firmly by the sinks. His fingers twitched in beckoning. "Any day now, love."

I squeezed my eyes and climbed in, trying not to think of the grime under my shoes. He flushed, and I felt myself being sucked into little hole.

The Atrium was huge, larger than I had imagined. With my hand in Lorcan's, I allowed him to lead me in the direction of the counter, behind which an old lady sat, her lids hooded with boredom.

This was fine. We were not committing a crime. I would merely be Lorcan's visitor. They would not ask me what for, and if they did, I will just say I was distant family come to visit for the holidays.

"Stop your fussing. We aren't going to see the bloody Queen!" he muttered from the side of his mouth. I huffed loudly at him in annoyance and steeled my face as we approached the lady. "Afternoon, Rose!" he announced, too loudly for my liking.

Rose peered down her glasses at him, and then at me. "My wife," Lorcan grinned. "It's Bring-Your-Spouse-To-Work Day." He squeezed my hand behind the thick marble that separated us from her, biding me to play along with his charade. I forced a smile to match his.

She lifted an eyebrow, her dull gaze flitting from Lorcan's face to mine. "I must have missed the memo," she droned.

"You must have, indeed!" He propped an arm on the countertop, Cheshire-grin still plastered on his face. "It's still not too late to ring your husband! We're all having a little get-together at the Department of Magical Games and Sports later. He must come!"