| 𝐏𝐇𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐍𝐎𝐒 | 𝘯𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘳

Phthonos is the Greek spirit of jealousy and envy. It is said that he caused the death of Semele and her son, Dionysus, by informing Hera of Zeus' affair with the princess. 

»»————««

🤍

a n g e l

Draco was already waiting by the walls outside the toilets when I emerged. I started towards him, but he was already hurrying to me. "Angel, you have to come home, quick." I barely had time to respond before we Disapparated.

Our street was a quiet one. Nothing interesting ever happened, and the pavements were almost always empty. Today, the sky was streaked purple and petal pink, casting the houses in the orange-grey of sunset. Everything was as it should be.

Except that right now, next to ours, was a house we'd never seen before.

It stood as if it had always been there. The paint was slightly worn, but not chipping, and the garden was already blooming.

"Angel, tell me I'm not going mad and that you see the house too." Draco's voice was thick with worry. I squeezed his hand. "It's there." But before I could say anything else, he hurried me through the front door, shutting it quickly behind us.

"Who do you think lives there?" He was already beginning to panic, and I pulled him into a hug.

It was definitely magic folk. We never actually bought houses through agents. Why would we, when we can expand space and grow one out of thin air? Although I had to admit it was a little strange that one would appear right next to ours so suddenly.

"When did you notice?" I tried not to let my voice betray my thoughts.

"I don't know, I was just reading. Then I thought I'd do a bit of cleaning up, so I went outside to sweep the driveway, and it was just... there."

"And did you see them?"

He shook his head.

"Well, it can't be that bad. Shall we have dinner first? We can worry about them later. I'm famished!" I tiptoed and smacked a kiss on his lips. That seemed to comfort him a little.

He had made a delicious beef wellington, and we got stuck in. I told him all about my day, and that Hermoine and Lorcan had asked about him. He made a face and said he didn't like Lorcan.

"Is it because he used to be a Ravenclaw?"

"No, it's because he fancies you."

"If he dares to try anything, he'd have a thing or two coming!" I giggled, earning a small smile from Draco.

We lay on the couch after dinner, sipping elf wine and watching the telly. It seemed to be his favourite thing to do with me now. I would steal glances at him; just to look at the way his silver eyes lit up, completely enraptured with the screen. Sometimes, I would catch him looking at me too, but I pretended not to notice.

Just below the telly, the little silver figurines shone as brilliantly as they did last Christmas. Mom still held her plate of scones, and dad still clutched his telescope. Every time things got hard with Draco, they never failed to remind me of why I chose this.

We ended up making love that night, the energy that coursed through our veins electrifying the air that passed between our mouths. Even when we peeled away sticky with sweat, we still held on to each other. His flaxen-blond hair matted to his forehead, and his eyes were sparkling as he smiled at me.