| 𝐏𝐄𝐈𝐓𝐇𝐎 | 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘱𝘰𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘯

Peitho was the Greek goddess of persuasion, seduction, and sweet-talk. A handmaiden of the goddess Aphrodite, she has been depicted fleeing from rape, as well as from the abduction of Helen, symbolising the destructive force of persuasion and love.

»»————««

🤍

a n g e l

We stood in our living room in front of the cold fireplace, glaring at each other. I wrenched my arm from his. "Draco, this has to stop. All this paranoia, these protection charms, your- your inconsolable hate for everyone and everything."

"There are Death Eaters out there, Angel!" he shouted, arms wildly gesturing towards the door. "Have you forgotten what happened? What they put us through?"

"Nobody is coming for us!" I protested. "Why can't you get it? The war was over two years ago. Over. Stop using it as an excuse to keep me as your prisoner!"

His face twisted in disbelief. "Prisoner? Is that what you think you are?"

"Certainly feels like it!" I shot back.

"Do you think I like doing this? Years ago, I swore that nothing would hurt you ever again. I swore to protect you!"

"But not like this, Draco! I know we're recovering, but-"

"No, Angel." He jabbed a finger at me. "You're recovering. Not me. It's always been about you. You weren't the one who had to sit through all those fucking death eater meetings, skulking around school fixing that fucking cabinet and never knowing if he's murdered your parents already. You haven't had to duel your friends in bathrooms, where they try to kill you with some stupid curse they haven't used before. And above all this, you haven't had to meet someone who changed your life, who thought you were good, only to have them fucking die for you! You haven't had to live with the darkness, the loneliness. I saw your GRAVE, Angel. Your grave. You have no idea what that did to me!"

His pale skin was now glowering pink. "You moved on, Angel. Not me. You're so caught up in your life that you've never stopped to wait for me to catch up. You've never spared a thought for me."

"Draco, that's not fair," I said. "I love you, you know I do! I have done everything I can to support you, to be patient and understanding. I honestly don't know what more I can give."

"Then why does it seem like you prefer everybody else's company except mine? Why do you never want to be around me anymore? Am I that useless? If you prefer Codrus or Lorcan over me, just say it! Say it and I'm-"

"OH, FOR FUCK'S SAKE, DRACO!" I exploded. He startled slightly at my sudden ferocity. "For fuck's sake, just... STOP. I think it's you who no longer loves me anymore. You know, I used to believe in love. The kind that is honest, true, forgiving. I saw what my parents had, and I wanted that. I thought I had it with you. I felt it... once."

His chest was still heaving from exertion. "And now..?"

"Now, I think I was believing in fairy tales," I said coldly. "I don't know what this is, because this isn't love. Not the love I know, and certainly not the kind of love I deserve."

Draco stared at me, lips parted in shock. I could hardly believe what I was saying either. My eyes strained from fighting back tears.

"Do you hate me?" he asked quietly.

No. I could never. I remained silent, pressing my lips together and trying not to cry. If I could step forward and take him into a hug, I would have. But I no longer had the energy. Living with Draco had whittled me down to my very bones. It was a toxic fume that infiltrated my lungs, and I would be poisoned if it did not stop.