Chapter Nineteen: Trust

“You can’t be serious.” She deadpanned, pacing angrily as she threw her arms up and turned to face him. “Cedric, did you even listen to Dumbledore? This tournament is dangerous. You could get hurt - or worse.”

They had been taking a walk when Cedric had spontaneously announced that he was going to enter the Triwizard Tournament, and while Anna had been anticipating this moment, it had still speared her heart just the same. How could she not have been anxious, when the same heart-wrenching emotions of Cedric’s demise from her nightmares still haunted her?

“I’m just entering. It doesn’t mean that they’ll choose me.” His eyes softened. “I know you’re worried, but you’re worrying over nothing.”

“Your health and wellbeing isn’t nothing.” She rebuttaled, but when she looked up, she met his familiar honey brown eyes and recognized the fiery determination behind them.

So Anna only sighed, leaning her head in as their foreheads touched - their faces so close that they could feel each other’s breath.

“Just promise me that you’ll be careful.” She whispered. “And remember that I’ll be here. I might be your girlfriend, and I know you have this weird delusion that you have to be strong for both of us and hide away all the fear and insecurities, but I’m your friend first - and friends have to support each other.”

He smiled as they separated - pressing Anna’s cold hands between his warm ones. “I’m going to be perfectly fine, Lillian Anna. Trust me.”

- - -

“Wow, Anna.” Ginny remarked as they walked out of their potions class - Anna with her chin held high, lips pursed with indignation. “I’ve never seen Snape so...timorous. I thought that you two were friends.”

“Yeah, well, friends don’t threaten to hurt one another.” She scoffed. “He’s the reason why I don’t have a Godfather.”

“But Black escaped.” Ginny pointed out. She raised her hands in surrender at Anna’s glare. “I’m on your side, but I’m just saying - you can’t still blame him for something that didn’t happen. Black escaped the Dementor’s kiss. He’s still out there.”

“He was supposed to be here. For Harry and for me.” She took a deep breath. They had segued into a dangerous topic. One wrong word, and Ginny would know everything.

“Snape’s just a prick. I defended him against my friends - my own brother. He should’ve been by my side when I needed him the most.” Her gaze was suddenly drawn a few paces ahead, and her brows furrowed at the sight. “Bloody hell.”

It was Draco Malfoy in all his glory - picking on a young first year by causing the first year’s wand to float above the ground - mere centimeters from his reach before it was jerked higher.

Finite!” She exclaimed, countering Draco’s spell. The wand then fell into the young boy’s hands before he scrambled away, causing Draco to turn on Anna.

“What was that for?” He asked indignantly - the tips of his ears scarlet.

“What do you think you’re doing? Do you feel the need to prove that you’re better by putting down others? Well done - you’re better with a wand than an eleven year old.” She deadpanned.

“Anna, let’s go.” Ginny whispered urgently, jerking on Anna’s sleeve, but she didn’t budge. All of the anger and frustration she had felt for Draco all came bubbling to the surface, and she was no longer able to just walk away.

“What’s it to you? You’re not my mother.” Draco retorted. “Know your place, Potter. You’re just a third year and practically a Mudblood. Raised by filthy Muggle trash.”

It was like Anna could only see red. Her fist suddenly rammed into his cheek of its own accord - hopefully breaking something. She started forward but multiple arms held her back, and all she could do was yell.

“You loathsome cockroach! How dare you! How dare you!”

“MISS POTTER! MR. MALFOY!”

All the commotion halted as Professor McGonagall stepped forward - her eyebrows furrowed as her eyes smoldered with anger and disappointment. “Both of you; in my office. Now.”
------------------------------------------------------------------
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!