Chapter Twenty: Deal with the Devil

“What were you two thinking? A fist-fight at the Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry? Do you know how terrible this looks for both of you?”

Anna stayed silent - glaring down at her boots in rage. Malfoy didn’t speak either.

Good.

McGonagall sighed in disappointment, tapping her wand against her fingers. “Detention. For both of you. Every evening starting at 6.”

“What?” Anna exclaimed in outrage. “For how long?”

“Until you and Mr. Malfoy can act your age.” She said steelily - as if she was daring them to defy her. “So we all agree. You two are now dismissed.”

- - -

The Hogwarts halls were now empty as Anna trudged through the stone corridors - taking the longest way back to the Gryffindor common room as she muttered darkly into her hair.

“Detention. Detention with Malfoy.” She hissed in disgust. “‘Until you and Mr. Malfoy can act your age’. Please.” Anna looked up into a nearby windowpane, imagining Malfoy’s face in the glass. “You first.” She muttered before sliding to the ground in defeat.

“Miss. Potter.”

Anna whipped around to see Mad-Eye Moody - trudging along in the hallway, holding up a bright lantern. His regular eye stared directly at her while his magical one whizzed around excitedly. “What are you doing out here so late in the dark of night?”

She straightened up, immediately sobering. “Sorry, Professor Moody. I was just...taking a stroll.”

He raised an eyebrow, but nodded along before he moved forward to sit on the ground beside her. “I heard about what happened between you and Draco Malfoy.” She looked up - wondering if she would have to defend herself to him too. “I am...unimpressed with the Malfoys.” He said instead - causing Anna’s eyes to widen in a mixture of surprise and relief.

“What he said about your late foster-parents was despicable. If I was in your shoes, I believe I would’ve done the same exact thing. Except I probably would’ve transfigured him into a ferret for a second time.”

Anna chuckled, smiling up at him. “Thanks, professor.” She only said, and was greeted by a stiff nod.

“You know, as a Dark Wizard Catcher, I’ve come across some rare objects - impossible even.” He fidgeted with his knapsack until he had removed a small rag - tied at the top to hold whatever was placed inside. “The starglass flower is known for its remarkable ability for conaltradh mortouis - communication with the dead.”

It was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

“You mean I can...I can talk to them?” She breathed - eyeing the small bag like it contained the world’s rarest treasure.

“You may speak to whomever you wish, with starglass granules. But the process is extremely risk-taking. This powder makes your heart stop for 6 minutes before automatically restarting it - bringing you back to the land of the living.” He turned back to her - his eyes grave. “But the more you use this, the more likely it is that you will not return.”

Anna pursed her lips, but quickly made her decision. “What do I have to give you?”

Mad-Eye Moody only smiled, taking her hand and placing the starglass granules into her open palm. “I’m only asking for two favours.” He said, looking her in the eye. “One: that you acknowledge that you can come to me for support, and two: that if I ask you for one favor - no matter how ridiculous it sounds - that you’ll do it.”

Accepting Moody’s gift was definitely risky, and in the possibility that it might be the bringer of her demise meant that Voldemort could never be killed. But she couldn’t think straight - not when it meant she could see anyone she ever wanted to meet again in the land of the dead: Andrea, Francis, Evan, Bianca - her birth parents. Her decision was practically already made for her.

Deal.”
------------------------------------------------------------------
Happy New Year everyone!!🎇🎉🎆