Chapter Forty-Three: The Resurrection

Her back ached and her neck tingled, but when she finally opened her eyes, she found that those things were one of her last concerns.

She laid on the ground - her upper body tightly bound to some sort of headstone. Pettigrew stood in front of her, mumbling all kinds of nonsense as he bumbled about.

Anna’s eyes widened as her brain caught up with what was happening and she began to struggle, but the ropes were tight, and she wasn’t going anywhere unless someone cut them for her.

Now, now. Relax, girl. You’ll be here for a long while yet. Besides, you’ve just awoken for the main course.”

Suddenly, Moody’s words reverberated at the back of her mind, and she began to struggle pointlessly in her bonds. “Harry - no!” Anna grunted through the gag someone had taken the liberty to place in her mouth.

One cue, a large pop came from the graves across from her, and she watched in horror as both Harry and Cedric appeared - rolling across the grass before coming to a stop. “Anna?” Harry asked in confusion when he finally looked up.

Harry asked first, but he wasn’t the one who saw her first.

Cedric’s eyes remained on hers, his intense honeysuckle gaze studying her face as a mixture of emotions came past his eyes. Confusion - horror - guilt.

Kill the spare.” Voldemort's hollow voice came from nowhere and from everywhere all at once, and the next thing Anna knew was that Cedric’s eyes were empty.

She watched in horror as the light left from his eyes, as the colour drained from his face and the life left from his body as he collapsed to the ground like a bag of bricks.

But she didn’t cry. Couldn’t. Even when she thought hard about all the memories the two shared, all the love she had ever had for him, Anna just couldn’t muster the tears.

Does that make me a horrible person? She wondered dryly as she watched Pettigrew make his way over to Harry - kicking Cedric’s corpse as he went - before dragging Harry to a tombstone next to hers, binding him tightly with a spell and shoving a piece of fabric through his lips as well.

They couldn’t speak, but they didn’t need to. Anna was certain the same thoughts running through her mind were running through his as well. How were they going to escape? Could they? Or was this the end of it all?

The sounds of a cauldron being pushed to the center of the circle of graves interrupted her thoughts, and Anna absent-mindedly watched as the caldron’s contents bubbled and popped at the surface - some of the water droplets burning her skin as they landed on her legs and face.

Hurry!” Came Voldemort’s hiss, as Pettigrew took the pile of writhing blankets to reveal a shrunken infant - too aged to be a simple baby and too pale to be anything human. Pettigrew dropped the creature into the pot and its body sank like a stone.

Bone of the father, willingly given, you will renew your son!”

The caldron’s color suddenly changed - transforming into a poisonous electric blue.

Flesh of the servant, w-willingly given, you will revive your master!

Pettigrews eyes were terrified as he lifted his blade to his arm, but Anna couldn’t bring herself to look away as he swung - successfully chopping off the appendage as he cried out in agony.

A sickly pleasure filled her at the thought of Pettigrew finally getting to suffer. After all, while Voldemort had ordered the kill, Pettigrew was the one who muttered the spell that had ended Cedric’s life. Sick as it was, Anna would take any form of suffering she could witness because while Cedric had been the one to cheat, had been the one to walk away, he didn’t deserve to die. Cedric’s innocent blood was on their hands, and Anna would be damned if she didn’t make sure he didn’t die in vain.

The lump of flesh fell into the cauldron as the contents turned a fiery red.

“Blood of the enemy, forcibly taken, you will resurrect your foe.”

She watched as he sliced down Harry’s arm - collecting his blood in a vial - before coming to her - slicing savagely above her collarbones, creating an angry red line as her blood seeped through the white of her shirt. He collected her blood as it mixed with Harry’s before tilting the crimson liquid into the pot, causing it to turn a milky white.

It was quiet for a long while - as Pettigrew whined in pain at his arm, shriveling on the ground.

It was only then, in those final moments that Anna realized what exactly was happening, and her eyes widened. “No!” She cried, muffled through the cloth.

Suddenly, a bright, blinding blast emerged from the cauldron - a billowing pale smoke settling over as an equally pale man stood within the pot.

Voldemort had risen.

And Anna’s fate was sealed.